On how much land are you growing fruit?

That’s a lot of pots to move!

1 Like

Alex is about 35 miles WSW of me

We grow about 1 acre each of blackberries, blueberries, apples and peaches.

The apples are on a trellis in the center of the photo.

6 Likes

hah…I was just out there for a job interview last week (Douglas Scientific). Pretty country…(pretty cold country, too)

1 Like

Yep, it’s pretty and cold :grinning:

My step-daughter and son in law live and work in Alex. We’re over there quite frequently. Lots of lakes. I believe Alex is the fastest growing community in out state MN. I hope the interview went well

My yard is 0.125 acres (1/8th). The property includes my house and a 2.5 car garage (and a 4 car driveway).

I have to be selective and creative. I have 4 raised beds for veggies. I long ago reached the point of every new plant requires pulling something out. EVery corner of my yard hides another unique and special plant.

I do have to watch the appearance as the city has issues with “overgrowth”. Of course its difficult for 5 kiwi vines to not appear overgrown (from the street) when they are on a 7 foot tall arbor along my driveway.

At one point the city was trying to identify all species of trees growing within the city. Almost all of the trees in my yard are sole specimens (the only one in the city limits).

I’m too well versed with the statutes they have regarding plant materials within the city and have beaten them as I understand the wording of the statutes better than the “enforcement officers”.

Scott

9 Likes

@k8tpayaso yes, I saw you mention you’re near Athens in one of the threads. That’s awesome ! We’re north of you between Canton and Emory. I’d love to try some Jujubes some time, and hopefully add a few.

1 Like

Trust me its all worth it. It takes one day to move all these which is not bad.

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:
Yes, I agree. Better than those men, like my hubby, waste time and energy in gym.

4 Likes

Two years ago I purchased a 1 acre overgrown lot, had it cleared of all the huge rocks and large wood trees that I cut up into wood stove sizes and gave it all away. What was left I did a huge burn pile of wood and then had the land graded. I purchased a York rake and back dragged it then I planted winter rye also 3 types of orchard grasses to firm it up. Planted 51 trees in the spring of 18’ and I’ll hopefully be planting as many young trees from my little Nursey into the budding young heirloom orchard this coming spring of 19’ It’s a great time indeed.

7 Likes

I just have a small suburban lot, so I have to be really selective with my fruit trees. They have to do double duty as landscape ornamentals. Right now, I only have two fruit trees planted in the ground: my project apple tree, with various varieties grafted on; and a Red Baron peach which I think has the most beautiful flowers of any peach I have seen, as well as amazing peaches. I also bought a weeping Santa Rosa plum which is sitting in a pot on my patio until I can carve an area out of the lawn to plant it. After that, I will have room for no more trees :frowning:

5 Likes

You are so lucky you have a Red Barron peach tree as your only peach, excellent choice for an ornamental as well as great tasting peaches!

1 Like

Thought I should answer my own question.

We live on about 10.25 acres. About half of that is pasture for our horses, goats, “mini” pigs, ect. A good portion of the other half is set aside as our hay field. That leaves about an acre around the house where I grow fruits, nuts, and other plants.

The silver roof in the upper left is our big barn. Our house is kind of hidden by the huge trees that surround it.
farm

13 Likes

I have a 1/3 of an acre suburban lot. It is already over planted so I am going to be multigrafting every tree into frankentrees this spring so that I can keep cramming in more. The eventual plan is to get some land with my cousin that has some acreage that we can play around with. When that happens all I will have to do is order rootstock and graft from my own trees to plant a new, properly spaced, orchard.

6 Likes

I’m originally from Wood County and have traveled 19 a lot. We will have to get together over the jujubes. :grinning:

1 Like

I live in Hazel Dell, WA, and just have a few feet aound 3 sides of a corner apartment.

24 Likes

Very creative. I love it!

2 Likes

The Orchard is in the upper left portion of my 30 acres. The rest is currently pastureProperty
This is the Orchard i just started, not much to look at I will update as the trees (already planted) start leafing out

Finally a look from the cow shed across the pond where the house is currently being built at the top of the ridge

14 Likes

That is some nice looking land, right there. Give me time…I’ll get some just like it.

7 Likes

I’ve got 1.5 acres of mostly lawn now planted with 35 types of fruit and 2 chicken coops. iil try to get some pics after leaf out.

1 Like