On Peach Tree

Every tip has this. Any idea what the cause?

A friend’s pics.

thx,

Dax

IMG_3553%5B1%5D

IMG_3554%5B1%5D

1 Like

I have similar thing on sweet cherries. If you remove the black, you can see a hole in the end of the shoot going in. I think it is “flagging”. For peaches it is Oriental Fruit Moth, for cherries - I don’t know yet.

4 Likes

They are actually produce gum on the damage, then the gum mixed with what left from the shoot tip became infested by fungus and turns black.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks, guys, Dax.

1 Like

Looks like ofm.:disappointed_relieved:

:grimacing:

Up in NY, OFM has become increasingly persistent. Although I kept spraying the growing shoots until about mid-Aug most of the growing tips of my nursery trees developed the same symptoms in Sept as shown in photos.

Apparently another spray was in order to get max growth out of my nursery trees and youngest orchard trees,.as the trees kept up vigorous growth through Sept. Trees with ripening fruit were carefully monitored, as I didn’t want to lose crop to this pest as happened for the first time last year when almost every single Indian Free peach was infested by harvest time- only IF had any such damage although I’ve two other varieties that ripen at the same time or later.

When you start to see flagging tips a small amount of pesticide applied to those very tips subdues the species, in my experience, although you probably won’t find that advice anywhere else. I can treat 100 1 to 2" caliber peach trees with a couple gallons of solution in a hand sprayer.

3 Likes

What do you use? I lost all the grows on my first year sweet cherries this summer-fall.

Alan might be using Triazicide or would recommend to homeowners.

Read third paragraph up from the bottom beginning with Because. He references Triazicide above that paragraph. It’s a quick read, so read it all.

Dax

1 Like

Lots of things can work for OFM including Triazicide, I assume- if they haven’t watered it down to the point infants can drink it. If there are any peaches nearby needing harvest soon, Sevin is probably the best thing for a hobbyist. Requires only 24 hrs. PHI, if that.

I use Assail myself, but it comes in quantities for commercial use, plus it is a dreaded neonic, although one supposedly soft on bees. I certainly have an active population of a wide range of pollinators, including crazy heavy population of honey bees this year (no idea where from).

There’s not many flowering weeds below my peaches, though and they are never active when I spray. Not supposed to poison bees once it dries.

2 Likes

I’m sure this is a mistype. It should read, “I use Assail myself, but it comes in quantities for commercial use, plus it is a dreaded neonicotinoid, although one supposedly soft on bees.”

Not a mistype, just a mental mis-connection. Too many words, too little sleep. The dreaded word was correct, at least. I will now correct my mistake, but I prefer the word neonic- so much easier on the tongue. Thanks.

I have a couple of very young peach trees, which produced this year, with black, gummy patches on the outside of the fruit. the flesh was fine, but wondered what it us.

I can relate to the ooze…… :confounded:

I’ve seen stink bugs this year that I didn’t know existed

1 Like

They are becoming increasingly prevalent here also- and not just BMS- I see a lot more green stinkbugs in my trees than BMS. I was surprised my peaches and especially nects didn’t suffer more damage from them than they did. I never sprayed for them because of that. A few deformed peaches is a small price to pay.

When BMS get bad they can destroy the crop very quickly, there stings destroy the flavor of fruit, but they are not primarily fruit pests apparently and only become a problem occasionally here (knock on wood).

Tarnished plant bugs have always been an issue in my orchard. It was one pest that Imidan didn’t subdue adequately. Assail does.

1 Like

I’ve actually not seen ooze or goo from sunburn. Double red peaches will occasionally sunburn here when it’s really hot and intense sun. Those turn really dark where they are sunburnt. It’s almost like they cook on that side.

I haven’t had this problem either but I did see mention of it in my search to find a good photo of goo on a peach fruit, so I included it in the information. If I remember what I read, they were talking a specific location, so, I don’t know. They recommended giving your trees a tad bit of shade.

I will be taking more photos of goo on peaches in the future, as, from what I have seen, very few good ones exist. I had plenty of opportunities this year.