One Green World Disappointment

Hey, listen I’m in my 50s and by the time they get me my pawpaw trees maybe I could’ve had fruit already and I don’t want to be on my deathbed saying oh look I got a pawpaw. i’m paying top dollar for grafted trees and I’m not waiting years to get them and I’m not babysitting anyone’s website that should be taking care of their customers they owe first.

3 Likes

I ordered a grafted pawpaw from them last spring that was tiny and never leafed out either. I never bothered following up with them and will instead graft it myself next year. Not worth the headache of dealing with crappy customer service.

2 Likes

I ordered a half dozen pawpaws from them about 2 years ago and they are doing fine. A big contrast to the plants I obtained from Planting Justice.

Youngster.

5 Likes

Same experience last year. Two of I think six leafed out. My hot take is that they’re trying to churn them out due to high demand.

But, I’ve also had some really great experiences with them. I bought some trees and bushes during the summer that arrived in beautiful shape, and were large specimens.

3 Likes

You will find about 40 nurseries that sell pawpaws in that link. No guarantees, but probably will be able to find some you like.

1 Like

@DragonflyLane

Pawpaw are slower growing trees just like many nut trees. We are seeing huge improvements as more domesticated types are developed. The original pawpaws we grew up eating had very specific needs , growing along the waters edge in mostly filtered sunlight and shade in very fertile soil. The good news is that many states forestry services now offer discounted pawpaw trees for $1 or $2 each, and you can graft a better variety to them later or stick with the wild type. I bring this up because i dont blame you for being frustrated trying to get pawpaw started. Getting some in the ground growing is very important if your 20 or 50 years old so you can enjoy as many years as possible enjoying the fruits of your labor. The nurseries trying to sell these trees either tend to sell them very large or very small depending on demand of the trees. Pawpaw is a tree only starting to be domesticated. Persimmons are about 50 -75 years ahead of pawpaw thanks to the works of several individuals. They are both in the infancy of domestication. Here is my own personal experience growing them as an adult

3 Likes

This is a pretty fair deal I think. Probably best to call them…ive never ordered from them before.

Buzz has a few left, they wont last long.
https://www.perfectcircle.farm/paw-paw

1 Like

I second ordering from Buzz. Edible Landscaping is good too.

3 Likes

I’ve had good experience with them too. They carry a large variety of things that are hard to find anywhere else, which is great. I’ll likely purchase from them again, but I’d get pawpaws somewhere else.

3 Likes

I’ve had pretty good results ordering … things hard to come by someplace else.
But, I NEVER go to them as a first choice.

Gotta realize they are ‘resellers’ of stuff they get in from other nurseries actually raising the plants.

3 Likes

Here are some cheap ones in Pennsylvania. $25 each

• "KSU Atwood™ - Medium sized fruit with yellow orange flesh and few seeds.
  • "KSU Chappell™ - Another KSU selection with excellent flavor, texture, and large fruit.
  • “Lehman’s Chiffon”- Jerry Lehman’s cross of Prolific X Sunflower. Produces large crops of creamy fruit with a sweet aftertaste.
  • “Mango” - From Tifton, GA. Fruit has mango-like qualities. Large and delicious. (see photo above)
  • “Mitchell” - Cream colored flesh. Large oval to round fruit of excellent flavor with an airy texture. From IL.
  • “PA Golden”(#3) - Oval-shaped, yellow fleshed selection from John Gordon of NY. Matures mid-Sept. in NY.
  • “Prolific” - Corwin Davis selection. Yellow fleshed , thick texture, mild flavor, small seeds.
  • “Overleese” - From IN. A reliable annual bearer of large fruit. Excellent flavor and few seeds.
  • “Sunflower” - Large fruit with excellent flavor. Self-fertile.
  • “Wells” - From IN, orange-fleshed large fruits.

http://www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/plants.php#pawpaw

more nurseries selling pawpaws

5 Likes

I bought them before I realized I could in fact learn to graft and have a stand of pawpaws ready to go…I guess I was too intimidated until I tried it out this last year. I have bought pawpaws from Buzz, as well, and they were very nice.

3 Likes

My Sunflower I got from Hidden Springs was the sorriest thing you’ve ever seen. I’ve nursed it a dozen years and finally it’s fruiting. I expect high pawpaw mortaility first year but I don’t expect lousy roots.

3 Likes

While I’ve never required customer service I’ve never had any bad experience with OGW. Always really healthy plants and they ship a few things most nurseries won’t ship me. Not to mention the wide selection, that sucks tho. Hope you’re able to get a decent paw paw somewhere

3 Likes

I ordered three trees from hidden springs and they were the worst looking twigs I have ever seen. Besides being exceptionally small, one had a single strand of root and the second was not much better.

I wrote to them straightaway and sent photos. They said these are good healthy trees and would do just fine. All three died. I kept thinking that I would be embarrassed to send that quality “tree” to anyone.

2 Likes

I ordered from OGW a persimmon, a jujube and Pawpaws as well.
To start the shipping cost was way to expensive to ship to the east coast, then the plants were way to small for the price they sell them. It almos look like I was ordering from wellspring gardens but at least their plants survive.
The plants I got from OGW didn’t wake up the following year, I did contact them and they didn’t give me credit.

My take is to order from reputable sources/nurseries.

I purchase plants from Just Fruits and Organics for the same amount of money that I spend with OGW and their plants ware 3 or 4 times bigger and healthier not to mention the packaging was professionally done.

2 Likes

I am glad your paw paws are doing well.

1 Like

I heard paw paws have a poor success rate; I’m not upset at them for that, it’s the customer service that bothers me.

1 Like

Thank you!

I am starting to think about 3’ to 4’ seedlings instead of grafted name brands. Wish I had Allegheny, Shenandoah and Susquehanna seeds. I know they won’t be exact but I don’t care.

Anyone know where to buy the fruits? I have never even tried a paw paw.

2 Likes

I purchased some from Etsy before, granted the USPS sucks and they were not ideal when they arrived but at least I got a taste before I planted them. Just not sure a mailed paw paw is indicative as to how it will taste when grown in your yard and picked when perfectly ripe. But I have bought several fruits from Etsy either to try or for the seeds in the case of ice cream bean which has a over 100% germination rate haha

4 Likes