Opinion on new peach tree vs graft

Agree 100%! My first year grafting. Had great success with grafting apricot , plum and peach on to my Elberta peach. As for timing I pretty much grafted the same weekend Scott said he was going to graft. I’m in Philly area so close enough to MD weather.
Definitely use the more experienced graters pointers and try it, you might be very successful the first year.
I had no success with nectarines though.

2 Likes

Scotts a modest guy, even about his ability to guide beginners through the steps of grafting peaches.

2 Likes

So after careful thought and deliberation I have decided to adhere to the advice of the experts and not proceed with planting a nectarine. Makes me sad. Anyhow I will keep my Elberta peach and try to graft some to be determined variety to it in the spring. Thanks for all the input.

1 Like

One great peach which is a child of a nectarine is Nectar. Its a child of Stanwick nectarine. Its a white nectarine descendant but Nectar is definitely in the nectarine taste group, its awesome. I think there are several other famous peaches descended from nectarines, e.g. Peregrine.

1 Like

Jim,

Don’t be sad. Grow a peach tree. Once you get a hang of grafting and want to try a nectarine, you can graft a nectarine scionwood on to your peach tree. I’ve done that. Having a branch of nectarine could be a better option than having a whole tree (in case it gives you too many problems).

3 Likes