Opinions on Flavor Delight Aprium?

Hi Lizzy,

Here is a list of nurseries that may have them, many are in our area.

http://www.davewilson.com/home-gardens/where-to-buy/retail-sources/Summer%20Delight%20Aprium®%20Interspecific%20Apricot/SUMDE/product-information/product/summer-delight-aprium-interspecific-apricot/1

1 Like

Fruitnut et al,
Re. Flavor Delight, I would like to graft it on my existing trees. I don’t have an apricot tree. I have J plum, E plum and peach trees.

Should I graft it on a J plum or a peach tree? I have success grafting several apricots on my peach trees. Flavor Delight is an aprium so I am not sure.

Advice from anyone is appreciated.

I don’t feel qualified to answer your question. I don’t have firsthand experience. There are compatibility charts. But they probably don’t address the hybrids. I would say that FD is basically an apricot. Apricot is routinely grafted on peach. So that should be worth a try.

1 Like

I grafted apricot onto j. Plum they are all actively growing. Flavor delight graft grew like 14" from february 15 to april 10.

4 Likes

Thanks, Fruitnut and Goyo.

Goyo - Where are you located? Your graft took off very well. I may graft this aprium on both peach and J plum trees and see what will happen.

I grafted several varieties of apricots on peach tress, those apricot are the most vigorous shoots on the trees. Maybe, apricots secretly are on steroids :smile:

1 Like

SoCal 20 miles east of downtown LA sunset zone 20/21

1 Like

I have a 3 year old Flavor Delight scion grafted to Methley plum and its grown fine. However it is easily the earliest bloomer and hasn’t even come close to fruiting due to freeze out

Thank you for your input.

I searched the web and read that Pluots have more plum in its genes why aprium has more apricot. I honestly did not know how accurate is that claim.

I grafted one today on a peach tree. With your input, I will graft another on Shiro plum tomorrow.

I feel bad for you about the loss of your stone fruit due to freeze this year.

I can empathize. For the past four years, I either lost, peaches/nectarine, plums, or apricot or all of them in the same years due to yo-yo weather.

1 Like

My FD has been fruiting the last couple of years and the flavor is amazing. Sweet, juicy, with a firm texture.

1 Like

I have grafted Flavor Delight and many different apricots to E plum with no issues. I’ve never grafted either to J plum.

I have grafted several pluots, plumcots and apriums on J plums. No issue.

Hi Toros! I love FD - like a juicier, tangier apricot