Opinions wanted: Favorite raspberry varieties?

Would love to buy a cutting of Irene if you’re willing to part with it. A pink raspberry sounds fantastic! I hope the Andrea plants work out too, I love the idea

Thank you! I will track down a Cascade Gold and if you ever want someone in CA to trial your new varieties, just let me know!

The Newberry has a couple of berries that should be ripe this week and the Wyeberry has been putting on 1-2 each day for the past week and has excellent new growth already. I am really excited for these.

Your pink sounds great! I have Double Gold and they are delicious and pretty big berries too

1 Like

Irene looks a lot like double gold, hard to tell apart. Leaves are different though. And DG does not turn orange before pink.

For now I want to leave the plant alone, but yeah examples will be available probably next year.

Another raspberry worth trying is Josephine. Huge berries biggest I have seen. Very tasty too. Kevin says they out do all his others in zone 7. Here in zone 6 they don’t thrive like in 7. Just average production. Still a keeper for me.

1 Like

I added Josephine this year based off your recommendation and it has already set a couple of monster raspberries!! They are delicious too. Thanks again

3 Likes

This berry is special you can really taste the raspberry in it. The lineage of New Berry includes about 21 cultivars including Logan, Boysen, and Marion. It takes awhile to take off, but can be once established a good producer. This berry has it all. I don’t understand why it is so hard to find!? Clearly better than almost all other blackberries. Well for me, I’m a huge raspberry fan and the blend of blackberry and raspberry flavor in this one cannot be done any better. Perfect!

3 Likes

Thanks to @ Drew51 for helping me to select these . I am harvesting everyday now. Love these !

17 Likes

Which are best to you?

2 Likes

They look great but taste better! And as the plants mature the taste of the berries improves!

3 Likes

I love Heritage; they are SO aromatic, and tart too. They make for outstanding mead. I planted some Double Gold and Anne 2 years ago and I’m hoping to get a big enough crop this year to see how they fare in one of my brews. The color on those Caroline Red looks incredible!

3 Likes

how does cascade gold differ from double golds?

1 Like

Double Gold is a pink, it is everbearing. Cascade Gold is summer bearing, has solid yellow berries. both are really good, and don’t taste alike. Both are not the best producers, I have had trouble keeping Cascade Gold in good health, but I like the berries so much I keep trying.

2 Likes

i only tasted double gold in my local market love its flavor compared to the reds. i had fall gold and anne it was ok not as good as double gold. hopefully ill get to taste cascade gold this summer.

2 Likes

Most of the yellows taste like Anne or Fall Gold except Cascade Gold! It is not a translucent yellow, more a solid color and when tinged red (orange) like the second berry Naeem is showing in that photo, wow, those are good!
For a low acid red try Himbo Top. This one requires a couple years to get the full flavor, but man it’s a good low acid type (not tart). It out produces all my others except maybe Prelude. Really a great low acid red raspberry.

Today I had one Himbo top and 3 Preludes, my first berries of the year. Wow what a contrast in flavor, both really good, both reds. I’m not a great judge for taste as raspberries are my favorite fruit and I like all of them. If I could I would grow every cultivar!

4 Likes

Since I like sweeter so my choice is
1- Cascade 2- Anne 3- Double Gold 4-Heritage and 5- Caroline

Please note my plants are very young second year and another thing is if you pick at the right time these all are excellent.

3 Likes

Cascade is more sweeter then double gold and bigger.

3 Likes

I agree with you.

hey, drew. you’re right about cascade gold. looks as though i’m getting only one crop this year. the floricane crop came early, so i thought i’d get another crop (primocane) in the late summer. i was mistaken.

will snip away at the floricanes and let the primocanes do their thing next year.

wish cascade gold were more productive, but given how tasty they are, and how much this fruit delights friends and family, it’s a keeper.

4 Likes

perhaps you need more minerals/ a better balance of minerals in the soil to improve flavour.

Kiwi gold (otherworldly good beats anne by a mile)
Double gold
Crimson night

1 Like

Do you let Kiwi Gold produce a summer crop? If, so, is it noticeably larger or smaller than the fall crop? How bad is SWD with the fall crop? I think @mrsg47 also raved about Kiwi Gold but her spot in Newport never got SWD.

2 Likes