Oranges in Zone 5

-20f roughly it was cold. The official reading said -10 or -15f I think. My thermostat doesn’t always agree with them.

There was a big trifoliate orange, in-ground, in a somewhat sheltered location in an open courtyard on the campus of the community college across from my old office, here in Hopkinsville, KY, about 70 miles NW of Nashville TN. Planted around 1970. Never saw any evidence of winter damage, but the Easter Big Freeze Disaster of 2007 - 4 consecutive nights of temperatures in the mid-teens, following a month or more of very warm temps - up into the 80s - killed it to the ground. IDK if it would have resprouted from the roots… they dug it out, along with the virtual ‘lawn’ of frequently-mowed seedlings that had grown from the years of fruit that lay and bletted on the ground underneath it.

2 Likes

The typical citrus tree is supposed to live around 25-50 years so 37 years sounds more like more like one bad winter combined with old age then hardyness.

@Vlad Trifoliata is as hardy as its claimed to be.

2 Likes

@Lucky_P

That’s a shame to lose such a large trifoliate orange!

I planted some 1 or 2-yr old Flying Dragon seedlings and a rooted cutting of a seedling (from a straight-thorned species-type trifoliate sent to me by a friend in Marietta GA who swears this one is edible… we’ll see…) alongside the garage at our lakehouse, a year ago. Checked them yesterday… they all look just fine!

2 Likes

What’s the sense of growing a super Hardy tree if the sion can’t take anything. My tree’s don’t see temps below 35*. I live in zone7a. They get cooped up in my “ Greenroom “. Minimum temp 60*. Max 71* for 4 months. I have been eating citrus every day since the latter part of November, have a couple dozen left till the end of February, I hope!

1 Like

What are you eating (types)? I just have my lime but the thing still hasn’t bloomed. I would love to to get a few more citrus and get rid of some other things i’m growing.

1 Like