Orchard in Yecora, Mexico

There where some pictures in private mode, and I changed them to public, so if you didn’t look at all 20 you may do so if your interested.

Getting back to the fungus, should it be treated? any ideas on what sort of fungicide to use?

I live in Alpine Texas. That’s 4500 ft elevation. The climate is like yours only colder in winter and 3 inches per month in late summer not 9 inches like you get. I’m not promoting jujube. Are you aware they’re very thorny especially the seedlings. And they spread underground coming up every where.

that’s what i thought. I mean, if he can’t grow jujus there, then there probably isn’t any other fruit tree one could advise @blakviper to grow. Alpine and Yecora are evidently unfavorable places,so am at a loss, maybe fruitnut or anyone else has a more viable alternative, considering the land area needed filled.

this may be bad news, but conversely, if one has ~200 empty acres to fill with trees which require the least of care, this could be good news! If the suckers are resilient enough to persist and grow wild at fruitnut’s area, then it should be tough enough for yecora. Additionally, grafted jujus are often twice the price of conventional fruit trees, so it could be a lucrative business especially if you’re the only source in that part of the world. The late Roger Myer used the persistent suckers to use as rootstock for the trees he was selling, and was even selling the rootstoc at 5$ a pop, if remember it right.

additionally , fruits cracking shouldn’t really be an issue, because apples and peaches crack too. . The more pertinent thing is to find something that will withstand the conditions there with little effort/cost, and without being paranoid about pests, diseases, and overall longevity.
in alcalde, new mexico(also ~6000 ft elev), nmsu has shown that jujus rarely miss a crop to spring frosts compared to conventional fruits, and are generally productive. http://hos.ufl.edu/sites/default/files/faculty/gdliu/Jujubes.pdf
hopefully yecora has similar or milder weather than alcalde.

I think the bigger issue with cracking is when it leads to rotting. If you are eating the fruit yourself and pick them soon after they crack, it can be very tasty. I’ve had some jujubes crack and they had a nice crisp texture, something that would undoubtedly been lost if I left them on the tree in a cracked state. If you are planning to sell a lot, it could be an issue. Maybe try out a couple trees (of anything) to see how it handles your climate before going all in.

Whatever you decide to plant, doing it from seed is not usually the best way (other than veggie garden). You will get a faster start and better varieties (seedlings tend to be more random) by planting established trees.

What’s the coldest it gets in that orchard?I wonder if White Sapote will grow there?Too high up maybe? Brady

same here–cracked jujus don’t bother me, because if picked soon enough, the high sugar content usually prevents rotting,and will usually dry into dates if not eaten immediately.
cracked apples and peaches usually can only be ‘saved’ by harvesting at once and eating right away, or placed in a dehydrator or oven to dry-- else the fruits will rot on one’s kitchen counter. It takes much longer for the inhospitable conditions of high sugar concentration(for microbes) to be reached.

and would like to add to the above post that you could pm me for anything which might be of help to get you started. Really find it fulfilling donating budwood and seeds to folks in usa, but admittedly more excited to be even just minutely instrumental in getting this fruit crop established in another country where it is relatively unknown and underutilized, considering its hard-to-beat logistics.

especially a country where there might be considerable poverty and hunger

Hi guys, I apologize for not replying before, been pretty busy.

So I got 20 Mulberry seeds already, I’ve seen lot of opinions on the web, can anyone walk me trough? I want them to germinate, so I figure first thing is to get a germination tray (don’t know if that’s the proper name) and after they hatch move them to pots.

After that, move plant them.

So I’m not going for Yecora but for a hotter zone, maybe 60 ft above the sea level, lots of humidity and really hot.

The ground is what we call alluvium, powder like…

Any thoughts, recommendations?

PS Chinese figs will arrive in a few days.

did you mean 600 feet? How is the weather like?

if your weather falls within the range of las vegas- southern cali- seattle, your mulberries should be fine.
seeded mulbs are generally considered not as good as those from choice budwood, but you could always graft your future trees with better varieties
your figs should also be ok
keep us posted

Ok, thanks

Now, on making the seeds germinate, I read that I have to put them in a paper napkin inside a bad in a fridge for a couple of day, is that correct?

you can do that if intending to stratify. Otherwise just sow directly on pots and kept constantly moist in warm weather

Hi everyone, so, i have my mulberry and jujube seeds.

I placed some mulberries in the fridge, to simulate winter, and I see I can germinate jujube in 4 days, cracking open the external shell.

I would appreciate some recommendations, and also, @jujubemulberry, are you sure I don’t have to stratify?

Can anyone tell me the benefits/differences between both processes?

fist and foremost, am so excited! as for stratification, i don’t have proof about decreased chances of getting them to germinate when planted from fruits harvested on same year. It is just that i have germinated seeds(jujube) from fruits of same year, so likely that some of yours will too. Also, if you bought from ebay, it is likely that those were obtained from previous years, so may already have been stratified in the location they were grown. Abscisic acid is purportedly the culprit, and the benefit is that it is supposedly deactivated or redistributed within the seeds by cold weather(to inhibit THE inhibitory effects)

by trying to germinate them now, you avoid being set back 6 months, and if they don’t germinate, those will get stratified over the winter. Seeds grow relatively slow the first year or so, so better to start soon, or at least try…
also, am with you on this. By feb of '17, will probably have ~50 stratified pits of the rootstoc if your current seeds go bust. Will gladly mail to you just to make me feel ‘contributory’ to this endeavor.
Gratis para su.

1 Like

I would appreciate those seeds.

Regarding the jujube seeds, do I need to crack them open?

1 Like

pm me your address by late jan next year.

yes, you have to crack the pits, and there will be one or two seeds in each pit. The pit could be hard and impervious to moisture as coconut shells, so extracting the seeds is only way to get them to sprout sooner.

you could refer to my post below. We usually try to germinate them on moist napkins, and plant them when they get a bit hefty

I just saw this thread. What are the local farmer’s growing? Maybe grow vegetables instead of fruits.
Since the trees are there, was it a viable well producing orchard at one time? If so, you should be able to do it again.

Hi Drew, I’m trying to add a new variety of trees there in Yecora, the same goes for Navojoa. So the mulberries will go to Yecora and the jujube stay in Navojoa.

I also bought shiitake and oyster spawn in plugs, gonna cut some oak and inoculate them.

I cracked open several seeds, so this is what I did:

I tried that same method for cacti and so far it is working, so lets see what happens.

1 Like

I was going that this year, but decided against it this year. Too much to do. I will try maybe next year.

1 Like

So we finally have a growth, at least one out of 12 LOL,

It is the only one visible, gonna wait of another day…

not bad stats imo, since most juju seeds inadvertently get crushed/damaged when muscled out of the pits.

btw, just gathered some 50 or so mature fruits of spinosa juju rootstock, Will gladly ship them now you if you want to start germinating some this year, and just let the others sit it out(stratified) in your chilly mexican highlands until spring… and just sow next year.
if you refer to the link i posted earlier, you’d see that juju seeds actually sprout taken straight from fruits(borne on the same year), without receiving the ‘cold-shoulder’ treatment of winter. I just don’t have enough data and sample sizes to indicate whether or not viability is enhanced by overwintering the seeds.