Ordering Jujube and Chinese Hawthorn Trees

I just got the shipping notification from JFaE. For 4 trees, the shipping weight is 60lbs (spread across 2 boxes). This is up 25% from 48lbs for 4 trees when I ordered from them 4 years ago, so I suppose it makes sense that shipping went up. Hopefully they left some side branches this time. They were pruned pretty close to the trunk in 2011.

I don’t see Coco at BR. All they are offering this year are So, Sugar Cane, and Lang.

Last year, Burnt Ridge updated their listed stock in late December/early January. You’ll probably need to wait a couple of months to see what they will really have. They’ve offered Coco the last two seasons, so I imagine they would probably offer it again for the upcoming season.

1 Like

Do they (Burnt Ridge) graft and grow their own in the field?

exactly, and there will be periods in jan or feb when they’d remove some listings, and then re-list them at a later time, apparently due to canceled orders. They had coco AND chico the past couple years. They are both good varieties, although one could expect coco to do much better in colder regions, having a russian pedigree. They also even had some honey jar’s, but that gets soldout quicly. Managed to purchase one last march.

My So showed up from JFaE a few days ago. It is super healthy looking, it should really take off next spring.

1 Like

My order from JFaE arrived today- I’ll be planting tomorrow. They all look good. I think they did a lot less cutting this time on the jujubes, than my order from 4 years ago. One of the So (far left below) is very nice and bushy with about a dozen branches. The other is a bit thinner with half a dozen, similar to the Tigertooth. The jujube calipers are all around 1/2"-9/16", with 38-42" in height.

The persimmon is a relatively thin whip (a bit over 3/8" caliper) and 3’ tall. It is in quite a tall pot, which I think is intended to preserve the taproot.

2 So on left, Tigertooth on the far right and a Gwang Yang in the middle:

Two So in a box:

1 Like

Nice trees, JF&E always shipped out nice specimens but a heavy shipping fee.

Tony

My So looks like the leftmost one.

Now all I need to do is find a few more sunny spots for jujubes :smile:

I just checked Burnt Ridge Nursery again today. They have Honey Jar on sale. I placed an order for both HJ and Sugar Cane. I don’t know how many Honey Jar they have. This variety seems to sell out very quickly.

Burnt Ridge does not ship to the east in the fall. They will be here next spring. I don’t mind waiting since I still can’t find two sunny spots yet :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting us know. I’ve now ordered a Honey Jar from them, as I’m very happy with my new graft (production and taste).

BR sometimes has very nice trees, at least when they describe them as large. I’ve been very happy with their Montrose apricots (described as “extra large”), the two times I ordered them (I managed to cripple one by keeping it in a fabric pot for too long). When I was checking for the HJ, I noticed that they also have Chico (“large”), so I added that as well. I would have gotten Coco too, but I’ve already ordered that from One Green World.

Bob,
I am sure I will like fresh Jujubes. I would love to order more varieties but I am very limited on very sunny spot.

How many hours of sun your current jujube trees get?

i hope your future chico manages to fruit in your area. Fruits are outstanding. Ony drawbac are the thorns, which are ‘outstanding’ too. You might want to plant them far from traffic

1 Like

That works well in the spot I’ve got planned for it. A hot (near rocks) dry location (which has claimed one tree already) and the thorns should deter the neighbor kids from (dangerously) climbing down the rock wall.

An update on my jujube’s from JFaE: When I planted them, the soil fell away from both So’s roots. The Tigertooth had quite a tight rootball which I loosened a bit and pulled some of the circling roots straight. While smaller, the So’s roots should still be plenty.

Apparently, all 3 were planted (potted up?) at the same time, as they had identical dates from May 2014 on their tags. I wonder if the difference in the roots was due to JFaE treating the trees differently, or if it has more to do with the cultivar.

The oldest, which is also the one which has given me the most production so far, a So, gets sun pretty constantly during the early summer from about 9am to 5pm or a bit later (for the top of the tree). At this time of year, it’s not getting as much due to the lower sun angle and shorter days. I think the sun is done for the day by 3 or 4pm.

I’m trying to get my new plantings more sun. Some of the spots will be almost complete sun, though it is hard to avoid losing a half hour on both ends of the day in a populated area.

quite sure our jujus do the same, looming over our concrete walls.
below is a chico fruit which has been scarred and impaled by its own thorns multiple times during windy weather. The fruit heals itself pretty well, and ripened just as nicely as the undamaged ones.

I got my order from One green World today. While they are almost as expensive ($6 less, at $40) as Just Fruits and Exotics, they are much smaller.

JFaE: 1/2"+, 38-42" tall, 3 gal pots
OGW: 3/16", 13-17" tall, 1 gal pots

The Viktor arctic kiwi in the back looks like the nicest of the 4.

Yes, the trees you got from JF&E were a lot larger. I would paid $6 more to get a nicer tree and a head start.

Tony

After a flurry of orders tonight, I think I’m done with 2016 orders (I don’t have any more spots planned). It looks like a couple more varieties came available.

Trees of Antiquities got Shanxi Li and Sherwood

Rolling River has Shanxi Li and Ant Admire, as well as the standards (Li, Lang, Sugar Cane)

@RedSun- I think you were looking for Shanxi Li and now it is available at 2 locations, though I only see 3 in stock at RR.

I ordered my first few Tigertooth on their own roots from Just Fruits and Exotics. They were very tiny bare root trees and one was cracked at the root in shipping. They offered to replace it immediately but I wanted to see if it would survive. It did not. The next year, I ordered a few more and had them add the replacement tree when they shipped. That second year, the trees were much larger, of much larger caliper, and grew much faster. I ordered much earlier the second year. I think what happened was that it was late when I ordered the first year and I got the leftover runts.

The trees I got the first year were quickly surpassed by the second year trees. I eventually used those first year trees as rootstock for grafting other varieties.

The Rolling River order arrived.

I ordered:
Ant Admire- This was one of my grafting failures this spring, so I was glad to find it.
Norris #1- One I haven’t found to graft yet, but I think it is related to a couple of the other TVA varieties I’ve grafted.
Redlands #4- There was a mixup on this one and they were out of stock. I do have a tiny graft of it going from this spring, but I’d been hoping to get a whole tree given the reports on it being a consistent fruiter in cooler climates.
Anna Spath (Euro plum)- RR is the only place I see offering it. I saw a European study which mentioned that it is resistant to brown rot.

The two jujube’s were both small, though somewhat larger than the ones from One Green World (and $10 less). The Anna Spath was a very decent sized tree (far right in pic).

Here’s a shot of the Ant Admire’s root system.

bare root jujus do pretty well even when all its fine roothair have been trimmed and left with nothing but thic buttress roots(though most people, myself included, get sore and worried when receiving specimens with no roothair).

so receiving them as potted plants with undisturbed rootballs and undamaged fine roots is quite reassuring.
glad to see your specimens are relatively big and more established. The same jujus i ordered from rollingriver 3 years ago, and they arrived as scrawny and tiny specimens. Not that am complaining–they were the only source at the time. And seemingly they continue to be the only one with norris