Ordering Jujube and Chinese Hawthorn Trees

Have you eaten the fruit? If so, how do you think it compares to other varieties?

taste and texture are almost the same as silverhill. Personally find both varieties best reserved for drying as dates.

I got one more jujube today- a Contorted from Sanhedrin. This is a divergence from the plans I posted on October 5th- I ended up getting a couple late peaches from Sanhedrin and threw in a Contorted (and didn’t get any jujubes from Raintree). Though for an add-on, it was pricey- Possibly the most expensive tree I’ve gotten, at $48, $2 more than JFaE’s jujubes.

But, the tree is a monster. The rootstock is just over 1.25" diameter, with the scion in the 7/8" to 15/16" range. The peaches (to left in pic) are pretty big in their own right (3/4"-7/8").

After seeing this, I’m optimistic that the trees from ToA (another CA nursery) will also be large. I’ve got 7 trees on order from them.

Bob,

Your orchard soon will be looking like a high density growing method with all your trees.

Tony

My first jujubes I got from a Dave Wilson supplier and they were also huge.

I ordered a couple more jujubes myself, I don’t have the room but I will cram them in somewhere so I can see if they fruit more with more sun.

it is still worth the price imo, if it is that caliper.

can almost guarantee it will shoot up > 6 feet in one summer.

I’ll be very surprised if it does. I’ve got a So which has been in-ground for just over 4 years and it is only 7’ tall, with a 2"+ base. Assuming that So and Contorted are the same, I would expect a similarly bushy growth. But, I’m still pretty happy with it.

Yes, while it was pricey, the quality looks top notch and I’m glad to have it. Here is a pic from this morning when I planted them (in existing rows- thankfully no need for heavy digging). The Contorted and the Heath Cling both had plenty of roots and the Carnival wasn’t too badly chopped.

‘so’ and ‘contorted’ are the same, so i guess your cool summers and shorter daylight hours are holding them back. A 1" caliper li can grow 11 feet in one summer in the desert, what have noticed when getting >9 hrs direct sunlight. Honey jars are the least vigorous here, be it under part shade or in direct sunlight.

what i dont like about the root system in the pic is that the nursery seemed to have trimmed it so much. It may not be detrimental, but vegetative vigor will be reduced proportionally. Otherwise an excellent specimen, and hands down larger than the biggest have received from other nurseries, the largest of the batches(>30) were a measly 0.75"

I got my jujubes from Trees of Antiquity yesterday afternoon and am pretty excited about them. They were all nice large caliper, at least 5/8" or more. I’ll need to do detailed measurements soon, but barely had time to snap a pic and get them into the ground. I did measure the Li, which is the largest, at 15/16", which is huge. Not quite as big as the contorted from Sanhedrin, but it blows away all the other jujubes I’ve gotten this fall.

The only one left is Burnt Ridge. Maybe afterward, I’ll post a summary comparison of the six places I’ve gotten them from this year.

The jujubes from my ToA order (there are also a few Euro plums to the right, which were both ~5/8"):

2 Likes