Osmocote Topdress product for container grown blueberries

got mine from from JF@E, so I am going to assume they were correct, both plants exhibit the characteristics of the varieties, but I guess you never know.

Andrew do you think I can use sodium bisulfate instead of sulfiric acid due to its easier handling? would it still remove carbonates?

You might try getting your acid down to a more “comfortable “ dilution to make handling easier.

I put my sulfuric acid down to 3% using all precautions, then use the resulting solution on the water. Municipal water is pretty easy to take down to rainwater ph in my area. It may be alkaline, but it’s not much buffered, so a little goes a long way even in highly dilute form.

1 Like

I was thinking that too, can you get battery acid? It’s only 30%… Remember to always add acid to water, and not water to acid. It splashes fiercely if you do.
My chemistry is out of practice. It would probably work. My only concern is that continued use would result in the buildup of salts, it is a salt, and that may be harmful.
In pots you can use citric acid, water with the acid water, wait few minutes and water a 2nd time. The 2nd time will flush any carbonates out that attached to the acid. Thus lowering the pH. In ground this would not work.
Sulfuric acid at 30% will not burn you if you wash it off within a few seconds. So if you could dilute it to 30% then use that to add to your plant water. You could store it at 30%. Use distilled water to dilute it if possible. And you must poor the acid in the water not the water in the acid!

You said that other blueberry growers are in the area. You need to talk to them and what they do. Experienced growers could help you more than anybody here. Being in your area too will let you know what works and is available locally.

1 Like

Andrew thank you for sharing these practical informations.

1 Like

I just bought a 25 lb bag of Peter’s Professional 21-7-7 acid fertilizer, $33, pretty much the same as Jack’s. Bought it from Greenhouse Megastore, along with another 25 lb bag, in the free shipping sale they just had.

The Ammonium Sulfate I have is a coarse grade but it dissolves in cold water in 30-60 minutes.

3 Likes

Excellent info, yeah a coarse grade of AS sounds good, and the Jack’s bulk! Cool!
Thanks for the tips. I buy stuff from the Megastore all the time, great place. Never looked at their fertilizer. I buy 50 pd bags of regular fertilizer from AM Leonard which has free shipping specials a few times a year.

I just bought this this spring and so far I’m impressed with it.

1 Like

picked up a bunch of that New espoma Berry Tone from a pricing mistake on Walmart.com, compared labels to my bags of Holy Tone, 99% the same ingredients, even the same wording, fyi.

2 Likes

this is all you feed?

1 Like

Yes it is, I adjust the ph of the water as well.

What about PK Ca Mag ? @fruitnut can you chime in why these other nutrients not needed?

What are you using for ph? I have PH Down hesitant to use it because I just planted them and they are young the bottle dont say how much P acid is in it. I also have vinegar.

Is your pH DOWN,the General Hydroponics brand?bb

Yes from our local garden center. I got it after i got my 1st round of blueberry

I use digital ph testers. I am also using General Hydroponics ph up and down.

1 Like

Okay,here’s a little info about the product.
MSDS on this states:
Phosphoric acid 10 - 30%
Ammonium dihydrogenorthophosphate 5 - 10%
Citric acid 5 - 10%
So,about 10% acid.Fairly weak.Vinegar is about half that.
This is from a customer on Amazon who uses the product:
"For anyone looking for a rule of thumb on how much to add to water
A little goes a long way. My water’s pH is 7.5 out of the tap. With 20 gallons of water, 1 teaspoon lowers it ~.5. It takes approximately 4 teaspoons to get it to 5.5.

There are obviously many factors that determine how your water’s pH will move, so this is just a rough estimate. But let’s say you’re still waiting on your pH meter to arrive and want to make your plants more comfortable until then.
If you have a 10 gallon reservoir, I would add 1 teaspoon at least and then half of another assuming you’re starting at 7.5 like I am."
Whatever is used,the pH has to be known by what thepodpiper uses or test strips,test solution,etc,at least the first time,(because your tap water may be different than 7.5)until a formula can be worked out.bb

So i assume it wont hurt them upon watering weekly if rain isnt enough?

If the pH is about 5,they should do well.bb

1 Like

And I would need to ph down to 5-5.5 Everytime I water correct?

Sure,why not,but there are a few times,I’ve used tap water,without any visual detriment.bb

1 Like

Thanks for the help

2 Likes