Our small urban garden

Wow! Can I get a couple quarts of that ambition? Great job!

7 Likes

Phillip, thank you! I did lose most of my cucurbits to cucumber beetles and bacterial wilt last season - that was an eye opener. If you’re asking about favorite varieties of fruit, last season was their first year. So, no fruit other than a handful of raspberries and some strawbs. Hoping to get some figs this year, and maybe an apple or two to taste. We did get a lot of veggies though - San Marzano tomatoes, eggplant and various peppers just kept producing.

2 Likes

Booyah brother!

Dang, awesome skillz and now gardens.

Super congratulations.

Dax

3 Likes

Alex, that is quite an impressive amount of work for one year! Everything looks really professional and I can tell you guys are doing it right the first time. I did want to ask the hard question that others may have thought about - Are you planning on taking down the maple tree so that it doesn’t shade out your other hard work?

3 Likes

Thanks, Ryan!

We love Totoro the maple tree and would like to keep it alive as long as possible. It does create shade later in the season (from mid-August on) which requires some rearrangement of the container plants, but it’s not an issue in high summer.

4 Likes

Awesome job guys! Now, where can I get one of those hats?

2 Likes

Amazing garden progress. Definitely motivates me to complete my veggie beds which I paused after Covid!

2 Likes

Wow, just wow. Great looking yard.

3 Likes

congrats, strong work! May your neighbors be inspired, and hopefully–your city mayor as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If that is true, it could be true every season. At least it is for me. I ended up growing parthenocarpic cucumbers vertically in net enclosure and grow tromboncino instead of squashes.

2 Likes

Thank you! The hat is $12 on Amazon (no affiliation)

1 Like

Galina, I had to look those up! Do you have pictures of your setup? My plan for this year was to (a) get some bacterial wilt-resistant cucumber varieties and (b) grow some in containers high up on the deck.

Edit: just found pictures of your amazing garden in one of your older posts - so impressed and inspired!

3 Likes

Such an improvement!

My semi-solution to bacterial wilt is succession planting. When the cukes get wilty I tear them out and hope the next crop is ready to go. This doesn’t work for melons, which take up the whole season

1 Like

It’s really looking beautiful. I particularly like your fence design.

1 Like

Do you have any idea yet of what resistant variety of cucumber that might be?

I ordered County Fair improved, which is supposed to be a BW-resistant pickler. It is also parthenocarpic so I’m planning to grow it both in an enclosure as well as out in the open. Also planning to use traps and Surround. I’m not taking any chances. I’ll grow a cockadoodie cucumber if it kills me.

2 Likes

Use tarps, but not the lure, unless you place it on your neighbor yard two houses away :laughing:. This was a mistake I made on my second year growing cucumbers with with CB. I think I attracted all neighboring beetles and possibly some from Canada too. :rofl: The amount of beetles was unbelievable. And they ALL were on my cucumber bed with a proud sticky yellow flag on the post in the middle of it and a lure attached to it . By the way, do not set the net where you had beetles last year - they are in the soil now and will emerge right to the dinner.

2 Likes

Thanks, Galina! Will definitely rotate crops. I am also going to introduce nematodes, to cover all the bases.

1 Like

Just finished building a grow box - going to test drive the heating mat and get to propagating peppers

9 Likes

I have yet to discover a BW-resistant slicer.

1 Like