Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Oh, I know, I’m just having fun. I also started some seeds from some apples, and I know those are never very much like the parent. My yard was so bare when I moved in. Just weedy grass and some daylillies, so even just some trees to bring in the birds are welcome.

2 Likes

I think for stone fruit, even if they aren’t the same as the parent they will probably have a pretty good chance of being good quality fruit, since probably both parents are. The big problem with apple seedlings is the likelihood that the pollenizer was a crabapple with bad fruit quality. You could always have bad luck, of course, but I think generally the odds are better.

1 Like

That’s what I figure, a seed from a nectaplum should make something nectarine-like, even if different, still should be good to eat. Apple tree can be a bird perch if it doesn’t make good apples. I’ve been working to get wildlife into my yard. I didn’t see a bee for the first year, and birds were few. Sunflowers greatly helped with both.

1 Like

Or graft it!

Oh! That’s an idea! I’ve never grafted anything, but I’m up for trying it.

1 Like

Here’s a great place to start @SamWA:

Apples are a great place to start, too.

I’ve been trying to do the opposite. :raccoon: :rabbit2: :rat: :mouse2:

4 Likes

Well, I don’t have racoons. I had mice after the neighbor with the apricot trees moved out, but they seem to have left. I’m trying to attract birds, snakes, toads, whatever wants to live here as long as it eats bugs and doesn’t bite me :joy:.

5 Likes

I do have a Fuji apple tree. They’re my favorite, and I wouldn’t mind having more. I have a friend with fruit trees, maybe I’ll see what kind of apples she has.

1 Like

IMG_2105
walnuts from Research Station tree

Anyone have established English walnut trees? I ordered Cook’s Giant and Chandler from Burnt Ridge. Info on your years to fruit and tree spacing?

This fall I gathered nuts from a huge 40-year-old English walnut at the Mt. Vernon Research Station. The 2" soft-shell nuts were very easy to crack (almost could do it by hand!) and tasted great. But not sure of its variety.

My land has poor drainage so I plant to plant them on an 8’ x 8’ berms 25 feet apart.

2 Likes

Hi. I planted 2 English walnut trees in 2017. Carpathian and Manregion, as those are cold tolerant varieties. We often get late spring frosts here in the Rogue valley…The largest tree is about 15’ tall now and had a handful of blooms last year but no nuts. Hoping for a few this year.
If you want something that produces a little faster, try hazelnuts. I got my first crop last year after only 3 years in the ground.

2 Likes

If you have the space, I would suggest planting them even farther apart. 30-40 ft. Walnuts can get gigantic with time.

1 Like

Thanks. I have 6 productive hazels- surprisingly they are completely happy sitting in standing water for a week.
Have soft-shelled almonds and chestnuts on berms - no nuts yet.
Fighting the squirrels for every nut!

I planted 2 chestnuts at the same time as the walnuts. One of them died a couple of years ago and I haven’t been able to find the variety I want to replace it. So I was very surprised to get a dozen or so burrs on that tree last year. Most were blanks, but one of them had a very large sweet tasty nut. Not sure how that happened without a pollenizer…

2 Likes

My seedling trees

The empty spots in the middle were donut nectarines, but those ones turned out to be bad, so I threw some apple seeds in them, I didn’t stratify, so they might not come up.

I’m excited to see how they turn out!

4 Likes

I’m not sure of your location, but there are native and introduced hazels all over this region. I’m guessing you have some nearby that you don’t know about. EDIT: Just realized you said chestnuts! Not sure how I misread that. Nevermind :joy:

1 Like

The cotyledon on one of those looked like a plum fruit forming to me at first. That really through me for a loop.

One of the posters from the Home Orchard Society’s remnant message board told me that with some interspecific stonefruit crosses the roots are not viable. That was in the context of rooting cuttings where they may form roots, but they are incapable of sustaining a tree.

I may not have read it all carefully but makes me wonder if its necessary to do some time of clonal propagation to a rootstock host early on if one wants to see the outcome of the cross.

Interesting. I’ll watch and see how they grow. Could I graft a couple of them to an apricot tree? I have one in my front yard that came up last year, I don’t need another apricot tree.

The red nectaplum sure has a different growth habit than the green ones.

2 Likes

Can you just plant walnuts from a store and get a tree growing? I’ve never tried, but one of the schools I work at has space for it.
John S
PDX OR