Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

I’m still trying to catch up to John and Larry :slight_smile: Although I’m a lot closer to the Willamette Valley.

They’ve both helped me expand my interest and learn more about what’s possible.

2 Likes

Bottomed out just under 25°F here last night, but the greenhouse is loving this sun… cooling fans had to kick in a couple times today.

1 Like

What Figs? I’m in Tacoma

A few to start with:
Desert King,
Olympian,
Negronne,
Above are common. Below are slightly less common.
Longue D’Aout,
Lampiera Preta

3 Likes

Greetings,
Seedy Steve here. I live just outside of Flynn, OR, a suburb of Philomath, which is a suburb of Corvallis, which is about halfway between, and a little west of, Salem and Eugene.
I have a variety of fruit and nut trees which I will list as soon as I make one. I have a tendency to get involved in things and then not want to do the work to maintain the project. When I get out in my little 1/2 acre orchard I remember why I started it. So, even though I am now inoculating Shiitake logs, I’m also getting involved in some timely maintenance of my variety of fruit/nut trees.
I’ve only been orcharding for about 5 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed my previous participation in this forum and do appreciate this ‘more local’ category. Thanks Mark H.
More to come…

5 Likes

So you must be in the vicinity of Blodgett, Eddyville, and Burnt Woods.
(my first college roommate was from Eddyville)

So, curious, anyone in southwestern coastal BC or northern Washington grafting yet?

1 Like

I’m wanting to start, but don’t have my rootstock yet. I keep addling more scion to my pile that needs grafting. Today I grabbed some cuttings of a naturally dwarf and highly floriferous crabapple that I’ve been observing for a number of years (it was one of those fenceline trees that grew where a bird perched and then poo’d). Can’t wait to grow it out at my location.

(Western WA here)

1 Like

You need any Mac, empire or Mutsu scions? Or prune plum. Should still be time to cut n ship if I send this week. / you have anything to trade?

I’m trying to exercise self control and avoiding getting more. What are you trying to trade for?

I learned something new tonight. I’d never heard of currants referred to as ribes. Is that a ‘old world’ terminology? Or is there a subset of people here in the US or Canada who also use that name? I find etymology fascinating.

It’s the scientific name for the genus, not sure the origin of that genus name though.

edit: here’s the etymology

2 Likes

ribes is their genus, like malus for apples, pyrus for pears, prunus for stonefruit, and so forth.

1 Like

I read that the genus includes gooseberries along with currants. I suppose he means that he grows both. Interesting that it’s a proto Iranian word. I’d be curious to see if you can identify ribes in any tapestries or paintings of that era. Of course the modern meaning of the nomenclature is probably much different now. When reading the etymology links that Winn posted I notice the term rhubarb pops up as Syrian ribes. That seems like another rabbit hole to explore.

From Wikipedia, it sounds like the relationship in naming between that rhubarb and ribes was a communication error.

Quite possibly. Following a word through history can be confounding. One sound can bleed into another and alter the entire meaning. And the word can vary from group to group across time and place. Undoubtedly a fluid phenomenon. The English we speak today will likely be unintelligible to our descendants.

Zager and Evans, in the song “In the Year 2525”, do not mention the language changing through the year 10,000, but they do say we will not be eating any fresh fruit by the year 4545.

2 Likes

In 4545, fresh fruit eats you.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

That really is a cold spot… about 12° colder than we got that morning here in West Seattle (24.7°F).

I had no idea poms are good for hummingbirds, that’s a good reason to put them back on the list of things to try. After the replies to this thread, I had basically decided to wait until I hear about other people having success before giving them a try:

Grotbogger: please describe your thimbleberry plantings and your fruit goal for that variety.