Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

The Indian free peach sounds very well suited for growing in this region. Do you know if it’s sometimes called something else besides Indian free peach?

Speaking of stone fruit that’s fared well for me, have you ever heard of or tried a nectaplum? They are fantastic, definitely my favorite of all the stone fruit. And so far I haven’t had any problem with curl. I do spray diligently, but I’ve heard that some peaches and nectarines will still get the curl disease despite regular spraying.

Most fruit trees commonly discussed in this forum produce zygotic seeds which is to say the seeds are the result of normal sexual reproduction. Therefore, while they may occasionally produce seedlings very similar to the named parent variety, they won’t be actual clones. Citrus while not unique in their ability to do so stand out among popular fruits in that a lot of Citrus varieties produce BOTH zygotic AND nucellar seeds (with some producing almost exclusively one type or the other and some a mix of the two). Necellar seeds are essentially the trees way of growing clonal tissue into the form of a seed so that when the seed is planted it will grow into a clone of the original. Some Citrus do lean one way or the other in terms of frequency for producing one type of seed vs. the other, but many of the commonly available varieties produce both. This means that sometimes when you plant a Citrus seed it will grow a clone and sometimes not (based on whether the seed was zygotic or nucellar). Fortunately a lot of people care about figuring out which varieties favor which kind of seed production. I wasn’t sure off the top of my head whether the ‘Meyer’ clone is known to produce zygotic or nucellar seeds so I looked it up. It turns out that ‘Meyer’ specificially is one of the varieties which produce only zygotic seeds. In other words every seedling will be slightly different even if some bear similarities to ‘Meyer.’ If you think it is an improvement over its parent you might consider propagating it clonally. Otherwise you can just enjoy it as a unique one of a kind tree. :slight_smile:

As far as a source for learning lots of terminology I really like using Google scholar to research plants as the results provide great exposure to a range of more technical terms. Over time you just start picking up on more and more until you become comfortable with it. A great book that I can highly recommend is “Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties” by Carol Deppe. While it does not cover Citrus aside from a mention of them being sometimes apomictic (producing nucellar seeds), the topics covered are very approachable for all knowledge levels and applicable to other plants beyond vegetables.

1 Like

I have one and the tree is okay,a little slow growing ,which could be the root stock.There is the Black Boy Peach,which is similar,but doesn’t need a pollinator,like the other.
Yes,the Nectaplum is good tasting.

2 Likes

My guess is that trees with some or all nuceller reproduction must have flowers with both the pistol and stamen or some flowers with distinct sexual assignment. When considering this possibility I start to wonder what enzymatic mechanism(s) drive the ‘choice’ in a seed capable of both zygotic and nuceller reproduction. There is a similar phenomenon that takes place when a human embryo diverts to one gender or the other. There must be a book out there like Siddhartha Mukarjee’s The Gene but specifically for plant biology.

Thank you for clearing up the terminology. That meshes with my basic understanding of citrus reproduction. I’ve long been aware that some citrus creates mostly clones from seeds—what I now understand is polyembrionic or nuceller. On the other hand there are some citrus, like the meyer lemon—which are only zygotic. Most are a mix, but favor one of the other. I know that Yuzu are exclusively nuceller which explains why fruit from the seedling trees is cherished. Now my mind is coming up with countless new questions.

1 Like

And to answer your question I definitely plan to clone this meyer lemon. To start, this spring, I’ll probably put some cuttings on a carrizo and the others on a poncirus. See what happens. I also have lots of sudachi and ichandrin seeds from this past fall’s crop of yuzu fruit. I’ll grow some yuzu seedlings for rootstock too. Why the hell not?

I don’t know if you also grow citrus, but if you want a couple let me know. I can send them to you or you can pick them up if you’re ever in the Salem area.

Hey, are you having any problems with this website? It is wonky for me the last week or so.I think I should contact the admin.

For some reason I can’t send a direct message because this site has been wonky for me all week. Have you had any problems with it?

Anyway, I remember you were happy about trying to grow some hardy citrus. Well this 40 year old meyer lemon seedling has recently been saved from certain death and is now about 5’ tall by 3’ wide and putting out lots of fruit. It’s excellent tasting and has thicker skin. Evidently, as another user pointed out, this is a result of the zygotic reproduction of the meyer lemon.

My intention is to take some cuttings this spring and graft them onto poncirus, carrizo and yuzu rootstocks I grow here.See what happens. If that interests you I can let you know when they are ready. I’m in the Salem area.

Here is a pic in case it didn’t load above. This site has been wonky for me all week. Have you had any issues with this site?

1 Like

Looks worth a trial! I’d be interested in some scions to graft onto my 2 citrus’s if ever available. I’m just south of Seattle.

Am I reading correctly that the tree is 40 years old and 5 feet tall on its own original seedling roots?

Yes. A kindly couple planted the seed in 1983. They couldn’t take care of it anymore as they’ve gotten quite old. It was almost dead from neglect. But after some extensive pruning and a new pot it recovered quickly. Even pushed out a decent crop this fall, maybe 3 dozen lemons. They are sooo good! If you are ever in Salem swing by and check it out. However the roof blew off the nursery in a recent storm and won’t be fixed until the middle of January at the earliest. The avocado might be in the ground by then too. See if that helps it finally set some fruit.

2 Likes

I am interested if anyone can tell me where I can purchase either Italian Blue plumbs or Prozegaca plumbs. and have shipped to Colorado. in the neighborhood of 150lbs to 750lbs. Thank you

@bojon call Raintree nursery they might have available soon.

POZEGACA EUROPEAN PLUM

Sold out

Current price$59.99

SKU C185A

A unique introduction to American gardeners! Also known as Hauszwetsche. In Eastern Europe, Pozegaca is famous for many processing purposes including preserves and brandy. As a high quality heritage plum, it has many clones, which have been developed over centuries. The fruit is small to medium sized with blue skin and a waxy bloom. The flesh is firm, greenish or amber with high sugar and a good acid balance. The pit separates easily. It is self fruitful with an upright tree form. The prolific small fruit forms in thick blue ropes and hangs well on the tree for several weeks after maturity. A reliable late bloomer, and self-fertile.

USDA Zone: 5-9

Grow Height: 12’

Sun: Full Sun

Ripening Time: September - October

Pollination: Self Fertile

Rootstock: Marianna 2624

@Bradybb my Indian Free peach that’s the only one peach I have. Still set fruit every year without pollinator.

8 Likes

Mine never made any fruit. I grafted it to Early Laxton plum. I’ve still never tasted one.

1 Like

@murky How big your Indian free grafting now? Maybe fruiting next coming Spring. It’s really late ripening peach, small to medium sized fruits, thick skin very tart if underripe picking. It’s very strong flavor. Might not excellent peach for some one. But I like it. Almost remove it when my frost peach died then it still set fruit by itself so I decided to keep. My cousin said Indian free tasting better than Black boy peach.
Someone said Flavor punch Pluerry tasting not so good and the other said better than Candy heart. It’s confusing so I just ordered one from OGW even it really late ripening Pluerry.

I have not tried that one yet. Does it taste more nectarine or plum? I wonder if it would graft to a peach tree?

I was impressed with the pluerry I tried. I ordered one of those to come with my Indian free peach. @Bradybb all ready said it but it is supposed to be very similar to black boy peach.

I ordered 7 different peaches 4 years ago and the Indian free peach died last winter, it’s 3rd winter here. It just never leafed out again last spring. All my other peaches seem to be thriving. Minimal curl issuers. I would say frost had gotten curl the most. Salish summer, Oregon curl free, and one named “Betty” have all seemed to avoid the curl. Frost and contender have completely curled out, dropped the leaves, then regrew them with out too much trouble. And Saturn peach was a misship has done well too. It came on accident with my order. Minimal curl. It is not known for avoiding the curl so that’s a head scratcher. I got a few fruit on my Oregon curl free last summer. I am hoping for a few more this summer.

I also got a kriebiach nectarine, hardy red nectarine, a hardired, and an atomic red nectarine.

3 Likes

@Noddykitty what’s the name of Pluerry you get impressed with?

Not mine, tried a fruit last year my wife got at the Alderwood Whole Foods. I really enjoyed it.

@Vincent_8B , I think I read you have one? Does it do well here?
I orders this one from raintree:
60x60 Candy Heart Pluerry × 1
Semi-Dwarf (4’-5’) $59.99

2 Likes

@Noddykitty My Indian Free peach?

1 Like

I saw that Indian free peach, but I thought I read you had a pluerry too. I have been reading many threads. I could have crossed streams ha. My apologies if I got the wrong tree…:scream_cat:

1 Like

@Noddykitty My Candy heart performed not so well here then I removed it.
Beside that my Nadia and Sweet treat fruiting really well and excellent flavor as well. Below their fruits last August 2022.

6 Likes