Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

I haven’t fertilized them at all, what do you suggest?

As long as they aren’t showing any nutrient deficiencies the most likely thing they’re needing is nitrogen. For nitrogen only, I prefer using feather meal mixed into their soil as it slowly releases nitrogen while it decomposes. I suspect any fertilizer marketed for rhododendrons or blueberries would work though.

1 Like

Glad you don’t live this far north? One inch of snow here and still snowing! Christmas lights have been coming on for the past week.
IMG_1509

6 Likes

This is special…very beautiful and exciting to see the potential.

About the same amount of snow here in the Gulf Islands across the border. At least the temperatures have moderated from the lows of the last few days. Hopefully my fruit trees that were getting close to breaking bud have not been hurt by the brief drop in temp from the relatively balmy January weather of late.

2 Likes

We just got a very light dusting of fine snow this morning in West Seattle, but no accumulation really.

I was glad the night before last wasn’t quite as cold as some of the forecasts had called for a few days earlier, since a couple of my avocados had already started bud break and I doubt they could’ve handled much colder than this. I did cover them, but without any lights or heat source. Looks like we bottomed out just a hair under 25°F in my yard:

1 Like

Last two nights at the house have been 20F and 22F.

1 Like

Anyone growing Hudson Golden Gem apple in the PNW? How does it do for you? I’ve been trying to get scions for two years now (anyone want to trade?), and I am hoping it’s worth the effort. :slight_smile:

I hear you. I was about to go huddle up with my favorite peach tree and a sleeping bag.:tent: So glad it didn’t get quite as cold as they said. I second that.

1 Like

@Plant_Addict where are you in pnw. I have it it is an ok apple. Pick at right time it is really good all other times are ok. They must be sweet as bugs and birds like them. If you need scion let me know.

I’m up here in Canada Fullplate - vancouver area, BC.
I’d like some scions if its not too much trouble (and if you are in Canada, if you’re in the states I understand). I can trade or pay shipping.

Ugh sorry I’m in the states. So going to have to pass sorry. Hopefully you can find someone on your side of the border

@swincher,
Are these Salish summer cutting thick enough for grafting? I figured I better check before the tree buds more.

I had a hard time finding thicker limbs that were not all flower buds. I have had them in the fridge for about 2 weeks now in a breathable fish bag.

2 Likes

yes

2 Likes

Yes! I sent you a PM so as to not clog up this thread. And thank you!

Does anybody have experience growing apricots in the Pacific Northwest? I’ve heard they can be difficult to grow in this part of the world. Nevertheless, when I saw a barefoot Puget Gold at One Green World earlier today, I couldn’t resist the temptation to give it a shot. I briefly looked it up online and found a site claiming this variety is supposed to do well in our climate. Was I seduced by a marketing gimmick or does my future include Oregon grown apricots? Does anybody know what makes growing apricots such a challenge in this region?

2 Likes

@jsteph00921 It’s not easy but not mean impossible. You picked the best variety for the areas. I am the same with you. Just ordered leah cot and Summer delight Aprium from OGW as well.
Good luck my friend. Some experts will give you more details. Vincent

1 Like

Thanks! I figured it was worth a shot. The worst that could happen is I’ll end up with a pretty ornamental apricot tree. When I was a kid my family had a handsome apricot tree that I only ever saw produce a few lonely fruit. I wasn’t so hip on understanding fruit trees back then so I had no clue what was wrong.

1 Like

It can be a lot worse than just having an ornamental tree, but I don’t want to discourage you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah, that won’t discourage me. I approach this entire experience of gardening as part science and part art. Each plant is an experiment unto itself, and while a failure is disappointing, the wisdom gained and beauty created along the way is worth it I think. Even though it’s a hackneyed platitude the old adage is true, you don’t know until you try.

What is the biggest environmental impediment growing apricots faces? Is it on account of blooming so early while we are still rather chilly? Do you think growing it in an excellent south facing location with an overhang would help?

1 Like