Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

I just planted two Muscadine to give them a shot. I’m in South Puget Sound,
WA.

5 Likes

If you don’t have a pollenizer nearby, bring one to you.

No idea if this will work, but I don’t have enough pollenizers in this area yet, so I brought a limb of a feral cherry plum to help things out. The branch attracted many more pollinators than the tree was as well.

13 Likes

The problem with mine is,there aren’t many bees out yet,because of cool temperatures.

1 Like

Great idea. It should be obvious, but sometimes the obvious doesn’t occur to me at the right time.

Same here, I put them out on the one 60 degree we had. There was a ton of hover flies and some honeybees.

2 Likes

I’m pretty curious what happens with pollination this year. I’ve seen zero bees, a few flies, and it’s been wet all but maybe one day. temps have been borderline but never below the MSU chart at each stage.
probably 5-8 varieties of mine have already dropped most petals so what’s done is done

Yeah doesn’t seem hopeful. We’ve had a few days with a lot of bees in the peaches, so they probably did ok…I hope.

I’ve seen zero frost damage though, looked in plenty of blooms, so I think we’re golden as far as that goes this year.

It’s still early for a lot of bee species, but I have seen multiple non-bee pollinators species out on my cherry plum blossoms.

Edit: I’m looking now again and there are bumble bees on gooseberry and plum.

1 Like

Didn’t see you report about Nadia and sweet treat. Do you have those? They’re my favorite fruit trees excellent fruit quality Michael.

1 Like

no. I got nadia scionwood from burnt ridge a couple years ago and no take. later found out it has an active us patent so I dunno what that was all about. no sweet treat

1 Like

It looks like I may have some fruit set on my Puget Gold that has been blooming for almost a month.

1 Like

If have room, more fun and enjoyable for both in your garden Michael.
My Nadia this year.4.23

My sweet treat

9 Likes

nice. those look just like the claimed cherry/j-plum crosses I do have, which are honestly what I’d replace them with (ideally by grafting but they’re both patent-encumbered). it’s interesting that their bloom times are very late for japanese plums, about halfway between japanese plums and sweet cherries. almost makes me think they’re real crosses

2 Likes

My areas 30 minutes up north of Seattle. The average temperature far behind than your temperature down there. So I think most blooming here at least 1 week and a half behind than your.

1 Like

Any report loquat fruiting in northwest? I saw the big trees in Seattle but no fruit. Had you ever tasted loquat fruit yet Jafar?

yeah for sure, we’re earlier, but the “cherry/plum crosses” are still late bloomers, after japanese plums for me

1 Like

The big tree in Seattle’s International District holds fruit pretty much every year, ripens in early summer. I haven’t checked it this spring to see what and fruit set looks like.

2 Likes

I saw some different trees at residential houses on Graham Ave. maybe not that big.
My niece’s loquat tree in Kent had some flowers on November but no fruit setting yet. You should take some pictures for us when you have a chance visiting the trees in Seattle Winn @swincher

There are phenomenal peach orchards around my place in Salem so I was surprised to hear some people struggle with them up here. Several hobbyists in my area also have huge productive peach trees. Seeing their success inspired me to give it a go. I also planted a nectaplum. The fruit is fabulous, though I spray on a strict schedule as suggested. I also took the plunge and planted a puget gold apricot this winter. Time will tell how that turns out. I have high hopes given how well the other stone fruit have done.

1 Like

peaches have been easy for me so far, just have to stay ahead of the curl. just a warning, spice zee nectarine seems to be ridiculously susceptible to peach leaf curl compared to all of my other varieties, and is going to need a 2nd spray from now on, it really got it this year