Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

I stand corrected :slight_smile:

Yea, it is that whole botanical vs culinary thing.
Note: In the article you linked it says

From a botanical view, you have to have seeds to be a fruit and the part of a rhubarb you eat is the stem which definitely does not have seeds.

It is doing well. It seems to be enjoying hanging out by our south facing windows. It has six leaves on it, the bigger ones are about six inches long at this point.

1 Like

Weā€™re very messy with colloquial vs scientific usage with it comes to food. Boy was I surprised when my manager was presented with a birthday cake with tomatoes on it while we were in China for business.

The fruit and veg divide seems to usually cheat the other way, lumping fruits in as vegetables.

Funny, I find it easier to eat many servings of fruit, than of vegetables. And even then, many of the ā€œvegetablesā€ are botanically fruits like: cucumber, zucchini, tomato, green beans, bell peppers, okra, eggplant and so on.

Seems like rhubarb should get to pull one the other direction.

1 Like

@murky I think it is mostly a sales thing. A consumer who wants to buy salad items wants them all in one place and if they asked the grocer where the tomatoes, are and he explained that ā€œcucumber, zucchini, tomato, green beans, bell peppers, okra, eggplant and so onā€ were actually a fruit, then he would not likely get an appreciative response. The same is true if they asked him where the peanuts were and he said ā€œthey were with the potatoes, of courseā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for the Winter Banana scionwood.winter_banana

2 Likes

Does anyone know what this is? I ate some a few years ago in Vancouver but was never sure what the fruits were. The owner of the house didnā€™t know what they were called. They tasted sweet when ripe- and quite tart when not quite ripe. I remember the seeds were light brown and shaped like a sliver inside the fruit.

Iā€™m guessing cornelian cherry or goumi? Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Looks like goumi to me. The fruit isnā€™t in focus enough to see the characteristic speckling on goumi.

I think the leaf veining between the two is different as well. Canā€™t make that out well but doesnā€™t look like Cornelian Cherry to me.

3 Likes

And if we want to muck it up even more for the consumer letā€™s mention that most the fruit items we call vegetables are botanically classified as berries. So cucumbers can accurately be described as pickling berries.

1 Like

And we might confuse ourselves even more when we read that most of the fruits that are marketed as vegetables are botanically classified as berries. As if learning that cucumbers are berries isnā€™t strange enough we also need to learn that what we call berries in fact arenā€™t berries.

1 Like

And many of the fruits we call berries, even with berry in their names, botanically are not actually berries.

1 Like

Rhubarb can be further promoted by referring to its common use in a fruit-vegetable hybrid dessert as: rhubarb-strawberry pie instead of strawberry-rhubarb pie. And because R comes before S.

1 Like

Yes,sometimes they are drupes and something I just learned.Banana fruit are berries.At least that what this article states.

1 Like

I enjoy visiting. Love your invasive berries. I can stop along just about all of them and enjoy some berries.

1 Like

Hah, I just saw this about berries on twitter:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t read the article, but watermelons and pumpkins are also berries.

1 Like

So basically everything you think is a berry isnā€™t and everything you this isnā€™t a berry is. :smile:

3 Likes

I actually posted this in one of the other forums, because I couldnā€™t see an option to post in Pacific Northwest growers. So I thought Iā€™d also send it to you to get your feedback. Iā€™ve never seen a miniature stone fruit tree that is considered distinct from a dwarf. I have a miniature pomegranate from Japan but never heard of any other type. Strangely, my miniature pomegranate is the the only one of my pomegranate trees that produce fruit. Unfortunately, the mini pomegranate are far too small to do much with. So I leave them on as ornaments. They typically last all winter.

Hereā€™s the info about the miniature nectarine:

I was at a nursery in Willits, California this morning, looking at the selection of bare root trees. I came across the most amazing specimen called a miniature nectarine. It has a fabulous habit with a disproportionately large trunk below the graft. They only get about 4-5 feet tall with a habit that could almost be described as contorted. It definitely has serious bonsai vibes.

I think it would look fabulous in my garden near a stand of yellow vivax (timber bamboo). My yuzu trees also grow nearby, so this miniature nectarine would really solidify the feeling of a Japanese landscape. Perhaps a zen garden in a foothill region north of Tokyo. Now that I think about it a Shinto shrine would fit quite nicely.

Does anyone have experience growing these miniature fruit trees? Iā€™m concerned about peach leaf curl since I would be planting it in a very wet region of western Oregon. Iā€™m also curious how the fruit compares with other nectarines and peaches.

2 Likes

im in seattle, WA and I grow miniature peaches and nectarines. they will need to be sprayed to prevent leaf curl. they do taste very good just high maintenance.

3 Likes

Are the fruits miniature or just the trees?

1 Like