Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

I have been extremely lucky as well, cherries, plums, apples, and pears seem very disease free so far. No signs of fireblight or black knot so far. Neighbours all have heavy infestations of tent caterpilers, but as I keep almost all my trees under 7 feet I’ve been able to keep my trees clean. Some aphid activity, but very light compared to last year so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone in the Washington PNW area experiencing bad fireblight this year.

3 Likes

Well apparently I spoke too soon. I just waked my fence and found one of my oriental pear trees almost completely stripped of leaves overnight. I can only assume it was done by the hoards of tent caterpillars hanging over my fence from the neighbors yard. Luckily they only stripped the oriental tree, but left the 2 Euro pears beside it untouched. Just bizarre, the tree was perfectly fine yesterday. It was not deer, just the leaves were eaten, or partially eaten leaving a black stump where the leaf was.

One day tree looks fine. The next day faint webbing with black dots. The following day leaves gone!

I am in pdx metro and my Frost peach has pea size fruits. should I spray it with surround or any other protectant at this time.

I haven’t had significant bugs in my peaches here. I actually don’t spray them at this point, once you beat leaf curl you’re mostly done. you’ll want to have a plan for squirrels though

1 Like

this last post of mine was too hasty by far… I’ve had more june drop this year than I’ve ever seen, I actually didn’t consider it could be this bad. I’m guessing I had no pollinators on most of my trees. even a couple early blooming apples have poor fruit set

I usually don’t apply surround until the fruit apples and peaches are about the size of a quarter. In first application I use three consecutive sprays, about a hour apart, to get a thick coat initially.
Good luck
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

thanks, I think mine too had the leaf curl, although it didn’t show like anything I have seen on pictures, but I suspect the young leaves were getting it. I sprayed serenade in double strength serenade every other day three times before this crazy heat set in our area. I am attaching the picture here, can you tell if there are symptoms of PLC?

same here, hardly any pollinators. Sadly I didn’t know I could have got mason bees, my apple trees are dropping petals now and I’ll see if any fruit will come out.

great, what kind of sprayer and spray tip do you use? I have a small handheld 2 liter sprayer, but I don’t think it can handle mature apple trees.

no plc on that. it just looks like a young tree with lower vigor and maybe not 100% sun (I have one with similar leaves at this point). the leaves should come on stronger as the tree gets its roots going in a year or two

1 Like

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow. That’s not bad at all, the touch of curl.

This contender peach gets it really bad. It will defoliate soon, then regrow clean leaves. If it follows it’s past pattern.

Contender is definitely not a contender W of the cascades in PNW. Yikes. Probably will chop and drop it this winter and top work in Salish summer and Indian free peach.

Salish summer is wonderful against the curl. 5 feet over from the contender.

3 Likes

Is anybody growing Redhaven peach?

I have a tree at my place, 15+ years old, that doesn’t get spray and has survived. The peaches are greatly superior to Frost in flavor and texture. I’m assuming the previous owners didn’t intentionally choose a curl resistant cultivar.

Having recently learned that Redhaven has some curl tolerance, I’m wondering if my tree might be it or an offspring that would be available at a big box store in the early 2000s.

2 Likes

I have a 3 gal pump sprayer from Home Depot, it works well and pressure enough to reach up to about 3 meters,
Dennis
Kent wa

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of your ichang papeda?

Sorry about your contender. I planted a Salish Summer this year, hoping that it will grow well.

Im growing a Redhaven peach. I bought and planted mine last April 2022. It was never sprayed for leaf curl and the leaves were decimated by the leaf curl. I ended up completely defoliating the tree and thankfully a few healthy new shoots grew over the summer months. I made sure to spray the tree with Copper fungicide a couple times over the winter and it made a huge difference. So far this year the tree is looking very healthy with a lot of new growth and plenty of peaches are growing. This will be my first time trying a Redhaven peach. I also have a frost peach growing on a cocktail stonefruit tree which also has a few peaches developing on it so I may be able to compare the 2 varieties. Ive included a couple photos that I found on my phone (I had to zoom in on the photo to get the tree in the shot so its pretty low quality). The first photo is from May 2022 when the tree was entirely affected with leaf curl. The second was taken a few days ago May 2023. The copper spray made a huge difference this year.

2 Likes

Cool. Thank you. I’ve also read that some peach varieties are more susceptible to curl for the first 2 or 3 years.

2 Likes

The branches on my Oregon Curlfree that showed PLC symptoms a couple weeks ago are already pushing new growth that looks healthy, so that was a very shortlived and seems like no big deal, especially if the resistance will grow with age:

3 Likes

Once the weather is warm and dry, you are in the clear :slight_smile: