Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Welcome, this is a great place to learn and share. Some really great people.

1 Like

Very interesting in this group.
I am 20 minutes of north Seattle.
Nice to know all of you.

3 Likes

Welcome Vincent - there are quite a few people in here from around Seattle. I am down in Portland.

1 Like

I might be interested in some too. You are able to mail them?

Do you know if goumi are true to seed? Or more importantly, do they taste good? I’ve tried honeyberries from seed and they can taste so bad that the birds won’t even eat them. It would be a shame to grow a goumi and find out later on it doesn’t taste good at all, even if the parent tasted fine.

I’ve never heard of a bad tasting goumi, but each seedling will be slightly different. They will vary slightly in flavor, fruit size and productivity. The seed parent was highly productive with good size fruit.

That said, if you’re in zone 4 they might not be hardy enough for you.

I like to send my mom perennial plants. She is in Oregon. I’ll grow a plant and if I like it I’ll send her the same. Her plants grow about 3x faster than mine do.

I wouldn’t mind trialing a goumi in Alaska. There are a few things to consider- will it survive the cold, will it set fruit, and will the fruit ripen before winter sets in.

1 Like

Goumi fruit would have plenty of time to ripen in milder Alaska, the problem is the somewhat early-blooming and flowers would be subject to freezing then. I saw serviceberry plants loaded with fruit in the Palmer area, when do those bloom up there?

Goumi fruit has a relatively large seed and is a “nibbling” fruit unless you want to spend a lot of time processing them.

1 Like

Yeah
the seed is bigger than the fruit :apple:.

The seed is big, but the flavor is big too. I really enjoy eating them fresh by the handful (one at a time). I consider them less hassle than sunflower seeds, for instance, for direct eating.

2 Likes

What does this taste like? I bought some seeds to grow but never tasted it.

Also I never knew there where so many named Ugni Molinea cultivars.

Winter Field Day, March 12th, Mt. Vernon, WA.
These are the scions($3) available:
Apple
Ananas Reinette
Arkansas Black
Ashmead’s Kernel
Autumn Crisp
Belle de Boskoop
Bramley
Celestia Chehalis
Dayton
Elstar,
Daliest
Freyburg
Golden Russet
Gravenstein
Hatsuaki
Honeycrisp
Jonagold
Jonared
Karmijn
Liberty
Melrose
Mother
Newtown
Pippin
Niedzwetskaya
Nutmeg
Pippin
Roxbury Russet
Rubinette
Scarlet
Ohara
Spartan
Wealthy
Williams Pride
Winter Banana
Wolf River
Yellow Transparent

Pear, European
Abbe Fetale
Bartlett
Bosc
Comice
Doyenne di Juliet
Klementinka
Leonardo
Moritini
Onward
Orcas
Rescue
Rosata Moritini
Russetted
Comice
Spalding
Starkrimson
Suij

Plum
Blues Jam
Cocheco
Early Golden
Gros Ameliorat
Hollywood
Imperial Epineuse
Kuban Comet
Mirabelle de Nancy
Obilnaja
Seneca
Sweet Treat Pluerry
Valor
Victory

Almond
Halls Hardy
Reliable

Cherry
Danube
Early Burlat
Emperor Francis
Hartland
Lapins
Sweetheart
White Gold
Tsugaru,Homei

Quince
Aromatnaya

Pear cross
Shipova

Asian Pear
Atago
Chojuro
Hamese
lchiban
Nashi
Mishirasu
Shinseiki
Yakumo

Rootstocks ($5))
Old Home x Farmingdale 87
EMLA 27
Geneva 41
EMLA 26
Geneva 30
MM 111
Antonovka

Quince Rootstock

Provence Quince

Plum Rootstock
Krymsk 1
Marianna 2624

All sales are cash or check. You need to be a member ($25) to attend. You can pay on site. With the cost of membership you can attend the fall fruit day where all the apples and pears are free to take home. Last fall I picked four 5gal buckets of Taylor’s Gold and Concorde pears last year for drying. This site grows almost anything you could imagine growing in this climate… from almonds to fuzzy kiwi.

4 Likes

Outstanding variety choices. I wish I were closer.

Which dried pears did you like better?

I consider the goumi seed to be an important part of its food value.

The Myrtus Communis has a very earthy taste to me. More a savory flavor than sweet. There is a bit of sweet but it almost reminds me of what bay leaf does to a dish. There is a bit of fruity flavor and as well as the myrtle flavor. If you’ve had many of the species you’d recognize a distinct flavor if not more of an aroma.

It is the same that I taste in the Luma Apiculata, a bit in the Ugni but more masked with tall the sweet. I also get it from the Myreola Nummularia and the Luma Chequen. The Myrtus has that flavor and aroma the strongest of all the mentioned above. I do eat them out of hand in small quantities but I don’t down them by the handful. My bush is smallish so there wouldn’t be more than a handful to down at this point:).

1 Like

I think I have an idea of what your saying. Thanks to @swincher I have been able to taste Luma, and I had some exposure to really really delicious Arrayan juice. I think that might been the flavor of “Myrtle” you mention. Been searching for that flavor again for a while.

I thought Concorde was the best. Someone once described Concorde as having a sweet vanilla-bourbon flavor. I think that’s a good description. Taylor’s Gold has a rough skin that needs to be peeled. However, when refrigerated, it is the longer keeping.
I sent you a PM.

From my understanding the Arrayan is synonyms for the Luma Apiculata. It is for sure sweeter than the Myrtus Communis but you can tell they are from the same “stock”. I have multiple Luma Apiculata. Some are selected and some are seedlings. They all have different notes. Some are tasteless but all are good enough to eat.

1 Like

Just FYI, I think all the fruit on the cuttings I sent you were underripe. It wasn’t until later in the season that I realized how much better they get when you let them sit on the bush until extra ripe. They lose a lot of the vegetal taste but keep that citrusy (myrtle-y?) note.

When i search for Aarrayan I always find images of the green fruits and that matches with the pictures on the juice i used to drink. But I have also read what you have about luma being Arrayan.

It could be the case that like how Sapote translates to “Soft Fruit” and Aarrayan to something else generic.

1 Like

Definitely refers to a lot of different species according to Merriam-Webster:

1 Like