Pai Li Asian pear

I just dig up the Cleveland flowering pear seedlings and grafted them years ago. Callery make good pear rootstocks.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine the amount of fruit produced from these mature trees :slight_smile:

2 Likes

500 plus pound of fruits per tree. I gave them to the whole neighborhood and family members. Lol.

5 Likes

How do you reach fruit on the top? Pole picker?

1 Like

Yes,

20 feet long pole picker.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Take a look at this attached pdf document i think you will find it interesting. Here is a clip from it below. Specifically see the last line pai li.

Then take a look at this thread

https://growingfruit.org/t/bell-pear-aka-us84909-391/40762/14

And finally this thread

New-Fire-Blight-Resistant-Pear-Cultivars-MAFVC-2013.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

Pai Li is the only Asian pear that can ripen like the European pear. You can eat them sweet and crunchy or let them ripen in the fridge like a European pear.

Tony

5 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Thanks for suggesting these to me originally they have been very good!

3 Likes

Bumped these to my scion list for this spring after seeing your posts. They look fantastic. Got about a peck of asian pears this fall, mostly Chojuro and Korean Giants. They were sweet but somewhat insipid, but I think it was partly the year, and partly the youth of the trees. Thank you for bringing this variety to attention.

1 Like

I got my Pai Li scion from USDA at Corvallis. It grew to like 25 feet tall with out pruning with at least 250 pounds of fruit per year because it was too tall to thin. Some fruits on the top of the tree can get quite large. I moved to the new acerage home but I managed to graft one. It picked a few buckets of fruits and stored in the fridge since October and they are ripen like an European pear now with sweet melting flesh with not much grits.

Tony

7 Likes

Do these bloom at the same time as other asian pears?

Yes.

1 Like

When do they ripen? Mine has grown pretty quick, but refuses to flower.

1 Like

First week of September.

1 Like

Would Pai Li grow fine on OHxF 87 or do I need to find Bet or OHxF 97 rootstock?

1 Like

@evilpaul

It would do fine on ohxf87. It might be necessatly to remove flowers the first few years to get it to your desired height.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 Would you be willing to share some scion wood from your Pai Li pear by chance? I’m near Silver City, about 30 minutes from Omaha. I currently have about 7 Asian Pear varieties and would love to add Pai Li to my collection.

I moved to a new house last July. I got a small graft at my new place. Probably won’t have scion wood for a few years.

Okay thanks for the reply and good luck at the new place! I think I’ll try some scion wood from Cricket Hill Garden and see how it matches the descriptions all of you gave. Thanks again!

pai li

3 Likes