Pai Li Asian pear

Would Pai Li grow fine on OHxF 87 or do I need to find Bet or OHxF 97 rootstock?

1 Like

@evilpaul

It would do fine on ohxf87. It might be necessatly to remove flowers the first few years to get it to your desired height.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 Would you be willing to share some scion wood from your Pai Li pear by chance? I’m near Silver City, about 30 minutes from Omaha. I currently have about 7 Asian Pear varieties and would love to add Pai Li to my collection.

I moved to a new house last July. I got a small graft at my new place. Probably won’t have scion wood for a few years.

Okay thanks for the reply and good luck at the new place! I think I’ll try some scion wood from Cricket Hill Garden and see how it matches the descriptions all of you gave. Thanks again!

pai li

3 Likes

Wow that looks tiny, did you thin out the tree?

It looks like that would be a large amount of work.

1 Like

Most likely it’s impossible, lets just say 6 of those pears weigh 1 pound. Lets say that the tree produces 500 pounds of pears in a season. That would be 3000 pears a year. A 1/6 reduction would mean removing 500 flowers or fruit. Removing 1/4 of them would be 750 of them.

Commercial grow pear trees may produce that many pears in weight or by numbers. But my backyard trees, I will be happy to get 200 good pears per tree. Is my tree under productive?. How many pears do you guys left on each tree?

1 Like

Without any other pears do you think pai li and ya li would pollinate each other?

1 Like

I think that 500 pounds would require a non dwarfing root stock, to be planted in the ground, and not too much pruning. Which is what @tonyOmahaz5 appears to do, yet most people like me would prefer a dwarfing root stock. I also think that the soil and the climate to some extent can can cut down on crop size. I myself can not picture ever having 500 pounds of pears on one tree of mine either.

1 Like

@Lids

I think there is so much callery pollen in the air most years there is plenty of pollen around. They are very good producers! The callery seedlings are blooming later sometimes overlapping my early pears like that. It is hard to count on rogue will pears but they do have a place sometimes.

1 Like

I am curious, Do you know how many pound of a pear tree produce in commercial orchard in US?

@IL847

Tricky question and the normal answer is 100 - 300 pounds for a dwarf

How Much to Plant for a Year's Supply of Fruit - The Seasonal Homestead.

The standard tree which i have brought up before yields heavier.

“A pear tree begins to bear fruit when it is about four years old, and may live 50 to 75 years.
• A 25-year-old pear tree yields 1,250 to 2,250 pounds
(570 to 1,020 kg) of pears a year.”

Educators_Flyer_Pear.pdf (1.1 MB)

The standards many advantages and disadvantages , if you want to read more it can be found here

2 Likes

Like @clarkinks has said that is hard to answer, under the perfect conditions, no disease problems, a full size tree, let to grow to full height, and a high production variety, it’s much more than 500 pounds of pears a year, this one website estimates 1740 pounds of pears on one old enough tree (30 bushels at 58 pounds per bushel), and they don’t say how old of a tree that estimate is for. A Guide to Planting Pears for Deer | National Deer Association

1250pounds vs. 100~300 pounds is BIG difference. Thatis 10 time more! I don’t have deer problem in the suburbs.limited space is my bigger problem besides the squirrels and too far to reach the fruits. But if a standard tree can produce over a ton (2tons in a good year), I would chop down rest of trees, only keep one which produces far enough pears for my family, also makes many my friends happy too. Can you imagine eat2tons of pears a year? The face might turn into a pear shape😂
Now, how tall is the standard tree it was talking about that produces over a ton? 15’?20’?

1 Like

@IL847

That would be a 45 foot tall tree.

I understand taller tree has more branches to produce more pears. But say a dwarf tree is 10’ to produce 100~300 pounds. If 40’ standard tree equal to 4 dwarf trees which should produce 100x4=400pounds~300x4=1200pounds pears. Barely reached low end of 1250 pounds range. The got be not only 4times tall but also has twice the branches. Wondering how they resolve the wind, light penetration problem to keep the tree in productive

1 Like

@IL847

An average orchard can have around 109 standard peach trees per acre, 36 standard apple trees per acre, 134 standard cherry trees per acre, and 108 standard pear trees per acre. If you opt for dwarf varieties, you can fit 120 to 1,815 trees of peach, apple, cherry, and pear in the same space.

108 versus 120 pears. Lets use averages "The average yield for a mature and healthy standard height pear tree is 200 lbs. (90 kg), while mature semi dwarf trees yield on average 100 lbs. (45 kg). "

" Pear Tree Harvest

The average pear tree produces fruits ready to be harvested about 110-115 days after full bloom. In most areas of US, pear trees are harvested from late summer to autumn (August to October). As it happens in all fruit trees, knowing when exactly to harvest requires years of experience and constant “trial and error” effort. Alternatively, commercial growers can regularly check the sugar levels of fruits in order to determine the optimum harvest time. As a rule of thumb, we shall not let pears fully ripen on the tree, as the fruit quality may deteriorate (the area close to the seeds gets gritty when the fruit fully matures on the tree). Pears are harvested only by hand and are very sensitive to bruising. Sorting takes place immediately after harvesting, because damaged fruits release ethylene gas more quickly and this can hurt the rest of them.

Pear Tree Yield

The average yield for a mature and healthy standard height pear tree is 200 lbs. (90 kg), while mature semi dwarf trees yield on average 100 lbs. (45 kg). Keep in mind that there can be striking deviations from these numbers. Pear trees (as many other fruit trees) have an inherent tendency towards Alternate Bearing (the tree produces a high yield in one year, and a low-if not zero- yield in the following year). Professional pear growers can mitigate the phenomenon of Alternate Bearing after years of high quality management (irrigation, fertilization, pollination, pruning, thinning etc.)."

Standards yield 21,600 pounds acre
108x200

Dwarfs yield 12,000 pounds per acre
120x100

There are many people who disagree with the experts

1 Like