Pawpaw propagation from cuttings

In a 2017 thread here @danzeb said he wanted to try the toothpick propagation technique (for hard to root species) on pawpaws but I don’t see a follow up post:

1 Like

Oscar there are several laboratories where the culture medium is available.
This is very good and has a very good price.
I suppose you live in the Netherlands, since the product, if I remember correctly, is shipped from France.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

It’s crazy you guys in Europe buy from sigma Aldrich also

Hi RichardRoundTree, keep in mind that Sigma Aldrich works with the German laboratory Merck, so in the country where there is a delegation of Merck laboratories (everywhere), you can buy Sigma Aldrich products.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

I correct myself Sigma Aldrich is already owned by the German laboratory Merck.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

They are the main supplier for most of that stuff here and the only place you can get lots of things

1 Like

Yes indeed , RichardRoundTree.
Really curious, but the matter already works this way, these are consequences of globalization.

Look at an example.
A small family had a fruit nursery in the town of de San Sadurní d’Anoia in de Catalonia region , they began to investigate, and more to investigate hahahahahahaha, and today you can buy rootpac rootstocks of the entreprise Agromillora practically all over the world.

This already works globally.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

My pawpaw has been sending up shoots from the ground that can be used to make new trees so I didn’t bother trying to root cuttings.

1 Like

Hello There,
A couple of recent posts were flagged for off-topic. We generally allow off topic here and there. I’d like to remind you to please stay on topic when you can.

Although your off topic such as mushroom growing or where one can buy culture medium, etc is interesting, the info was hidden inside a papaw thread.

Please feel free to create a new thread about mushroom growing in the General Gardening category. Thank you.

5 Likes

@oscar @Jose-Albacete please do! I would love to see more discussion on this topic as I’m sure many others would like to learn more about it too.

1 Like

@mamuang et. al.
I agree posts should more or less stay on topic ,
But … this did not really stray as far as some may think ?
The discussion went to tissue culture of Pawpaw ,a type of propagation from cuttings. Which uses much of the same equipment, sterile techniques, sources of media as growing mushroom spawn, a plant tissue culture Lab and a mushroom spawn lab have much in common. Just sayin…

2 Likes

mamuang, you are absolutely right.
In one of my previous posts, I already recommended it.

I also do not like to mix topics within the same post, since the information is mixed and this is not appropriate
I apologize and it will not happen again.

disc4tw , hahahahahaha , the bug of curiosity has bitten you hahahaha, you are liking the topic of handling the management of culture media.
It is not a problem, I am looking for a suitable post that talks about the cultivation of mushrooms, or in-vitro multiplication and there , that is the right place, we extend the information.

Come on with the pawpaw.
I have a good friend in Slovakia, who is a true connoisseur in the field of the Asiminas (he has been hybridizing for years).
He is an older man but an excellent person, he left you his mini-website in case any of you want to talk whit the (his name is Miro Straka), and he has some varieties “to take off the hat” hahahaha.

http://www.asimina.sk/ESP/asim.html

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

back to the point…
All propagation methods have already been very thoroughly studied, including propagation by cuttings and tissue culture. The result is that:

1. Asimina can be propagated from suckers but need good care if they are to survive initially.
  2. Propagation by cuttings from adult trees is impossible (rooting under undermittend mist at 25°C and using IBA is 0%)
  3. Cuttings taken from juvenile plants can be rooted under undermittend mist (but what is the point in that?)
  4. Propagtion in vitro is possible only if the material is rejuvenated.

In short: No, propagation from cuttings in order to easily mass produce the better varieties and have them grown on their own root system is not possible!!

4 Likes

do you have any link or reference to those studies? I’d be glad to read them :slight_smile:

here is one article by dr. Pomper but there are many more if you do a good search…

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237403049_Propagation_of_Pawpaw_Asimina_triloba

1 Like

thanks, that’s an interesting article. Ill read it more carefully when i have time.
During a quick scan though, i saw the used suckers as a source of juvenile cells.

And that they did not try to make a “stoolbed” out of suckers.

Even though M9 for example can root from hardwood cuttings. Rooting % are low. Most clonal stock is produced by “layering” or a “stool bed” or similar technique.

i have no expertise with pawpaws, so this is me just thinking out loud. But if i wanted to clone pawpaws, id probably plant a sucker in a stoolbed, and completely “harvest” it each year, in an effort to keep it juvenile.

as far as you know, has anyone tried this?

Usually when juvenile cells are required this means that pure callus is generated from plant parts that easily form callus. This callus or undifferentiated plant cells are thus in a juvenile stage. This callus is grown on to increase in size and then divided into separate cell clumps. These are then treated with the right plant hormones in the correct sequence to form roots and meristems so that eventually a juvenile plant is created from these plant cells.
I’m not aware of anyone having tried to propagate pawpaw by using the stoolbed method but please do experiment… I’m curious about how it turns out. I’m sure somebody must have already tried this but we don’t know about it…

1 Like

I believe @Barkslip has experimented with toothpick propagation on pawpaws and I seem to recall he had some success.

1 Like

I did this with a jujube root in January 2019. When I was planting, a big root broke off. I potted it up, leaving part of it above ground and a few days later grafted a scion (Kima) onto it.

I didn’t get a picture of the new graft, but here were the trees (from GrowOrganic) that the root broke off- you can see that some of the roots were good sized…

Here it is now:

I re-potted it in September 2019, but until this year it hadn’t grown very much. I’m not sure if that has more to do with how it was made or my poor treatment of potted plants (not so regular fertilization and watering…). But this year it has grown 1.5’+. The scion was never buried, so it isn’t self-rooted.

I think this is the only time I’ve tried this and did it just out of curiosity and because I didn’t want to waste such a big root. I think I’ve potted up broken roots before, but don’t remember getting a tree out of them. So adding the scion may have helped, in that it supplied a vegetative bud, rather than forcing the root to develop one adventitiously.

3 Likes

I did try pawpaws on the plants themselves with toothpicks (many) and none presented callus. The trees were in a woodland. I know I did at least 10 or 12 to find out if that toothpick method would work. I also did toothpicks on cuttings in my greenhouse and that didn’t do a darn thing, either.

If you want to root something, look at this. I wrote it. Now I don’t know anything about pawpaws from cuttings, however.

4 Likes