Pawpaw tree issues - fireblight like

I just was watching this video and Sheri mentions the peduncle borer will bore into twigs/branch tips.
About 9:20 minute mark.
So that could be your issue.

3 Likes

I think this is the critter: Black Twig Borer | NC State Extension Publications

It’s not a peduncle borer. I’m now noticing dead twigs on many tree species in my area. Some trees are really covered up with it. I’ve snapped off a few oak twigs and observed the beetle inside.

1 Like

Good research! Yikes. A type of ambrosia beetle (I didn’t know this applied to multiple species).

I think that is it. That article was written in 2003, surprised I have not had problems before this.

I was at the park yesterday and noticed this Paw paw tree had something knock it out pretty good. I did a scratch test and it is still green, though. The trunk is a branch of the previous trunk and I am wondering if it had the same issue before it was removed.

@jeremybyington
That is not a Pawpaw tree

1 Like

Looks like hickory maybe

@jeremybyington
Not familiar with that tree ?.
Where is this ?

Oh, that is good news. There are paw paw trees all over this park (despite my misidentification here I had a grocery bag full in September) and I thought that was what that leaf shape, the gray bark and being next to the water all added up to. So, is the little green, healthy plant next to it a paw paw seedling?

This is in St. Louis, Zone 6b. This park has the typical midwestern assortment of trees, with several dozen paw paw trees, about a dozen massive American Persimmon trees that are apparently all male except for like three of them, Bradford pears, Amur Honeysuckle all over the place. I also found a couple northern spicebush and about six Autumn olives. I got me a half-grocery bag full of those puppies.

1 Like

Pig nut hickory