Pawpaw Varieties

Pawpaws should love your spot. Pomms unfortunately not. You are making a most valiant and admirable effort to cultivate the Pomegranates. But alas :pensive: but take heart and enjoy the poms for as much and as long as you can. How 'Bout a 'Tropical treat and KSU Chappelle to go with your Trees that are indigenous?

1 Like

Thanks Friend!! Read through it in its entirety, good shtuff!

1 Like

No, I believe I didn’t water them enough cause I’m a noob :l

1 Like

Much to learn grasshopper. :cricket:. You must endeavor to persevere.

1 Like

I should pay for my usage of this fruity forum, how do I do so? Do you have a link?

1 Like

Im new to pawpaws, but i would like to try growing them here in Colorado. I have a farmerv friend who has successfully grown mature pawpaw trees here.

What varieties are the earliest for ripe fruit?

These are the ones mentioned in one of the pawpaw books:

Halvin
Kentucky Champion
NC-1
Zimmerman
Summer Delight
KSU 27
VE-5
VE-21 ?
Fairchild
Ketter
Quaker Delight
Golden Moon
Early Surprise
Belle

Are there any others that are highly recommended for early fruit / northern climates? Are any of these easy to find? NC-1 i think is from Canada. Any others from Canada or the extreme northern areas? Any of these have no bitter aftertaste or low acetogenins?

1 Like

Halvin
Kentucky Champion
Summer Delight
VE-21
Those are the ones that I know of,to put in the early ripening group.Some of the others may be,but more people can comment about them.

2 Likes

I know it wasn’t your question but …
Fairchild and Ketter are extinct.
Zimmerman too as far as I know.

I’m not an expert on seasonality of cultivars, but some of the Davis cultivars were selected from the wild in Michigan, so they might be early: Davis, Taylor, Taytoo, Prolific, Tollgate, Lynn’s Favorite.
However these are older varieties and have mostly been eclipsed by newer ones.

2 Likes

My notes from discussions:

Early: Summer Delight (England’s Orchard KY), Allegheny, Shenandoah, Halvin, Kentucky Champion, NC-1, KSU Benson.

All available except possibly Halvin

3 Likes

RLG4 is a new release I’ll be trialing for early fruit.

3 Likes

Mrs. Frank Ketter’s national contest winning fruit and the Fair children derived from it extinct? Tell me it isn’t so Mr. Triloba Tracker!

Taytoo eclipsed? In my opinion it shines on! :boom:

3 Likes

Thanks all, i think I’ll need to keep researching all these to try and narrow down which ones i want to try and grow.

Im a little confused on ‘Taylor’ though. A few sources online say this is a Canadian variety, but a few other sources (including KSU) say this is a Michigan variety selected from the wild in Eaton Rapids, MI, by Corwin Davis in 1968.

Is this a case of carefully crafted wording so someone can sell SEEDLINGS descended from Taylor that have grown in Canada at high prices, or another variety named Taylor?

Has anyone grown Taylor and Taytwo? Are these early ripening varieties? Any good?

1 Like

So I did a spreadsheet with all the categories and info that was relevant to me. Trying to narrow down the best varieties to four. The most important category being early fruit bearing, but balanced with other traits such as fairly large fruit, etc. Then I color coded each section and gave those colors a point system.

The four that came out on top for what I am looking for are:

SAA Zimmerman
Halvin
Kentucky Champion
‘Maria’s Joy’ (‘166-13’)

Surprisingly SAA Zimmerman came out on top and Halvin not far behind. If anyone knows of good sources for these four varieties, please let me know.

The others on my short list that got beat out were:
Summer Delight
Shenandaoh
‘Quaker Delight’
Naomi’s Delicious
‘Golden Moon’

2 Likes

I believe Cricket Hill Garden has SAA Zimm, Shenandoah, and Quaker Delight.

Here Maria’s Joy is a disappointment for taste. Meh, nobody home. Might be different for you. And I don’t recall Halvin being rated very high in the taste department, seems to have faded into obscurity. I’d replace one or both of those with Shenandoah.

I think pawpaw had a phase where a lot of people were just finding decent wilds and slapping a name on it.

What’s your typical growing season there? Like last and first freezes? I assume it can be highly variable.

I’m in z5b, but I tend to avoid the last and first freezes that the valley beneath me gets so I can usually squeak out another week for ripening into October.

The varieties I was looking at for early ripening were Halvin, VE-21, Allegheny, Nyomi’s Delicious, and Summer Delight. PA Golden is early too, but most say the flavor is hit or miss.
Chappell is a very vigorous grower for me and it may be worth growing for when you get longer growing seasons.

I would probably look into getting seed from Cliff England from his VE-21 crosses with 250-39 (Jerry’s Big Girl) and 275-48 (Lehman’s Delight). You should get some seedlings with large size and early ripening. Those that are inferior you can just graft over.

1 Like

I have many pawpaws that are on their third or fourth leaf (8A Georgia). Most were from One Green World and were tiny when I got them (whips about half as thick as a pencil). Growth has been pretty slow for all of them so far, and I had my first casualties this spring when a Wabash and one of my Shenandoahs failed to wake up from dormancy. None have fruited so far, but I had a lot of flowers this year, most of which got tagged by a late frost.

Among my pawpaws, the Shenandoahs are notable for slow growth. Maria’s Joy appears more vigorous.