Pawpaw Varieties

I’m glad that you were able to find some last year.
Did you see the tree at florence nature park last year? It was loaded with fruit but they all got picked before I could try one.
The seedlings that I offered you froze solid and are probably dead, but I still have time to cut scion wood if you are interested.

I still havent been to Florence Nature park to see any of the pawpaw trees there.
The one at stringtown is a single tree but had fruit, i plan to pollinate it this spring so if you get a chance keep an eye on that one. I found the tree in late Aug with a single cluster of fruit so it may start dropping its fruit earlier. It had a more firm texture flesh and very fruity flavor compared to pawpaws from the woods i tried and turns yellow when ripe.

No worries on the seedlings i actually have some this yr, and probably some extras to spare if you need any.
Assuming they survived the winter.

I have Sunflower, Overleese, Susquehanna, Shenandoah and adding Atwood, Rappahannock, Mango, Prima this spring.
Im always up to trade.
If you have scion of any improved pawpaws with the exception of the ones i listed i would definitely take you up on the scion offer.
I have stuff i can offer up in exchange.

1 Like

I was speaking with Tyler Halvin yesterday. To my surprise he doesn’t care for Mango. He said it tastes like typical wild pawpaw. Naturally, it was my favorite from a dozen approx.cultivars I’ve tasted thus far.

Tyler said ‘so many are alike & there are getting to be too many cultivars.’

Tyler likes those that are fruitier-flavored with no aftertaste. These are his favorites:

Overleese

Shenandoah

Prince Caspian (his newest that I really can’t tell you when it will be available)

Danae’s Creekside (cultivar named for his wife Danae found wild in N. Missouri.) Her favorite and has the least amount of seed of any wild selection of theirs. He says it’s super fruity too! Tyler said they have different tastes but he agrees with her this one is superior in flavor.

Halvin

Wabash

Hope this helps you.

Dax

9 Likes

I have tried KY champion once and it was good.

3 Likes

Dax, you know Jerry Lehman personally, you have visited his orchard so you will be wiser than me… do you know what VE-21 stands for? It is one of Jerry’s top pawpaws. His system of labelling trees is confusing at least for me. Some of his persimmons have numbers (100-46, 100-45, etc.) and some letters (U-20A, WS 8-10). Some of his pawpaws have numbers (275-48, 166-13, 250-39) and there are yet some with letters (VE-21). I would appreciate if anybody could clarify his system of labelling trees. Thanks.

@Harbin

I know this! Or at least part of it. From my tour of his orchard:

Jerry explained his naming scheme to me. The pawpaw named 275-56? That tree is located in the row 275 feet from his property line, and is the 56th tree (spaced 5 feet apart). The idea is that, when he is long gone and somebody is trying to recover cultivars a century in the future, they will still be able to locate everything.

I don’t know what VE is, but he has a few different fields, so I imagine it indicates one of the fields in particular.

4 Likes

Very interesting, thank you Tim.

1 Like

I just saw a post by Cliff England that Jerry Lehman had a tractor accident and is in bad shape in the hospital. Cliff asks his friends to pull for Jerry. Jerry is a national treasure.

6 Likes

My thoughts and prayers are with Jerry and his family. Thanks for letting us know.

5 Likes

I hoped he pulled through. His wealth of knowledge of the American persimmons is only second to Mr Claypool.

Tony

5 Likes

I am very sorry to report that Jerry passed away yesterday. A giant sequoia has fallen. Like many other fruit, nut and tree lovers, I learned so much from Jerry. .

Rest in peace, Jerry.

8 Likes

Is there a list of past taste winners from the Ohio Pawpaw festivals?

I considered attending the Ohio PawPaw festival last year. But, the scheduling and coordination of things I wanted out of the trip didn’t all come together. You can Google for their website and previous winners.

There is a post on here by nik_umesh with a link to the Ohio festival winners. Scroll up about 14 posts above yours.

2 Likes

Hello everyone:-)
I am new here and i am trying to pick the best varieties for myself.

I plan to plant 4 trees (pawpaw), 4 persimon and 3 jujube.

The option of varieties which i can buy:
Lehman delight, maria joy, overleese, ruby keenan, summer Delight, sweet virginia, ve-21, allegheny, belle, prima, convis, ford amed, pensylvania golden 2,3,4, Sibley, sunflower

So not an easy pick.
From what i read lehman delight, allegheny looks interesting.
Prima (i have a positive feedback on this one because its pretty common here) and it should be self fertile and not sure what else.

I will be happy if you can advice (especially taste and yield :slight_smile: )

The last one is hand pollination, to be honest i am scared little bit… I dokt intend ti di that, i still hope that it will work without that

2 Likes

Just plant the paw paw trees 7 feet apart and the flies will help pollinate for you. Your picks are good so far and I would add Sunflower because is also self fertile. For Jujube, I would go with these if you can find them in your area: Honey Jar, Sugarcane, Li, Contorted So, Autumn Beauty, Massandra, Coco, and Chico.

Tony

I like how you are picking low care fruit. Most people join and ask about apple, peaches, plums a lot more work. I can’t offer any advice mine are too young to have tasted.

1 Like

This is what i can buy and is on stock.
ga-866, halina, ja-tsao, kitajskij 2a, koktebel, konfetnyj, lang, li, shaanxi-li, sihong, sugar-cane, gigante then red lands (i would want it an many others but issue is that they will have it next year, everything is sold out already :frowning: )

I wanted to pick ga-866, shaanxi-li and then sugurcane or gigante (this one have also very positive feedback from people in my area) and i wanted red land #4 but its not available now.

Btw. For persimons i have already geneva red, nikitas gift and i want to get new hybrids Sosnovska and cucupaka (here i have huge amount of plants which i can pick either from europe or from america)

Would you mind telling us where you are located? From the selection you have, it looks like you are not in the US.

Where i live… Everywhere are apples, pears, cherry, plums, walnuts…
I can pick it whenever i want… Its just on tree and no one will harvest it. (In our country they always plant it everywhere, around roads, fields …)

But the more important for me was, that i simply dont plant things which i can simply buy in the supermarket:-)

So i planted the ones which arent common (you can buy them sometime on farm markets but not very often)
Actinidia arguta, actinidia kolomikta in total 15+ plants) amalanchier, ficus carica, Lonicera kamtschatica blueberies, raspberries, blackberries, goosberries (around 5 from each)

My wife telling me that i am crazy and i will harvest everything by myself :slight_smile:

I hope that children will help me :slight_smile: lol

3 Likes