Pawpaw Varieties

Richard I believe @Blake sells Prima. I may have extra buds this year but unfortunately I don’t believe I am allowed to send to you in California.

1 Like

Richard, I have Prima scionwood still available $6.00 per stick (about 6-8 inches long). If you want some just PM me with quantity and shipping address.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind offer, I will wait until grafted plants are for sale.

Unfortunately i live in belgium.

Not a problem! I hope to hear more about what you are growing.

@Jokkijr007 Welcome! I’m in Germany, and luckily there seems to be growing interest in pawpaws on this side of the Atlantic, too. My oldest trees are just 3-4 years old, but I’ve grown a backyard collection of 14 named varieties including Prima 1216.

From my experience, there are good suppliers in the Netherlands, France, Germany, Slovakia, etc. I find “Asimina Triloba €” is a good search term for finding EU trees regardless of home country language. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

3 Likes

How would you compare the fruit of the prima to other cultivars?

Prima is strong. It’s more like a Susquehanna or maybe an NC-1 than a Shenandoah.

Or are you looking for some other comparison besides taste?

1 Like

How would you compare prima to Sunflower?

In taste? Is that what you mean? Sunflower is middle of the road to me; between a Shenandoah and Susquehanna.

Yes in taste. Sunflower is the parent of Prima and I’ve heard they have some similarities so that sounds about right.

We won’t be able to ship potted plants to CA. We no longer hold orders to bare-root, so the only option with our nursery is scion wood to CA.

Sunflower was one of the potential parents of Primi 1216. The seeds came from Corwin Davis and were grown on Domenico Montanari’s farm in Italy. If I remember correctly, there were literally thousands of seedlings grown out and the “1216” is just an identification of row/column or sequential (I need to as Ron or Neal about this to be sure). As far as I recall, Prima 1216 was never included in any of the genetic tests to confirm Sunflower as a parent.

Ok, thanks for the heads-up. As an author of the National Plant Board interactive database, I’m aware that if you don’t have that certificate it means you cannot legally ship potted plant products to any U.S. state or territory.

All the seeds were from open-pollinated Sunflower. So whether 1216 is purely Sunflower is unknown. The same is true of 8-20.

This is true. My statement above concerns H. Huang’s genetic testing of Sunflower, its known offspring, and several close relations.

That is part of the oral history as some tell it within pawpaw circles. But remember, this was back in 1983 (the year Prima 1216 was selected if I remember correct, so we’re talking the mid to late 1970s for planting). Around the same time - University of Minnesota’s apple program had better documentation with their program and they thought Honeycrisp was Macoun x Honeygold. It wasn’t until the genetic tests that we found out it was actually Keepsake x MN1627. Corwin Davis worked with a lot more than just Sunflower, so it’s certainly possible that Prima is completely unrelated to Sunflower. We won’t know until someone does the test.

It’s actually possible there was a genetic test done but just unreleased data. Sherri and or Kirk would know. Maybe Ron as well. They would be the ones to ask.

1 Like

Interesting, feels like they did it on purpose for some reason.

I mean human error happens in the lab as much as it happens anywhere else. I assume it was just some mix up with labeling somewhere between collecting seed and harvesting the new fruit. Somewhere in that chain, there was a boo boo.

If Jerry was around, I’m sure he would tell you that even his controlled crosses had a small chance of being misidentified parent.

I was referring to published history. I don’t use information bulletin board discussions in my analyses.

There is no genetic test for parent-hood. Instead we obtain data on the number of marker mismatches between known relations and unknown relations, and from that infer whether two dicot specimens are in the range for sport, parent-progeny, siblings, etc. It is the focus of my research: https://geneticdistance.org/

Their 2010 genetic tests are among the worst in the horticulture literature.