Pawpaw Varieties

Thanks FarmGirl! My mate the She-wolf is an aficionado of wines. She shall order some and her and her friends shall test it! Me? I am a do-it-yourself kinda guy. Workin on perfecting the “Wabash :bomb: Cannon Ball”,. (Using fruit from Peterson’s pawpaw variety). Pirates brew. Not for the faint of heart nor week of knee :blush:

2 Likes

You could say the same about Persimmon wine. (Or “Hazy” craft beers.)

I don’t mind some ‘haze’.

Persimmon wine can be fined pretty easily without any effect on flavor. Pretty sure that the protein and fat content of persimmon isn’t has high as pawpaw. In those cases, not fining is more of an artistic/aesthetic/textural choice. In the case of pawpaws, it seems like you cannot without removing flavor.

3 Likes

:fire: :sunny: :no_smoking:

2 Likes

I agree with your friend :hugs: ’ Wabash’. :peach: A peachy :peach:Pawpaw. :smiling_face:. I am thinking that perhaps I should just read and not post in order to not start any quibbles and squirrely :chipmunk: squabbles. on this fruit forum. :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you…for the kind comment. It’s true, I abuse some plants, and maybe the tough survive and the others die. I hope this one lives for you. If the root doesn’t get injured, being nearly two decades old, it’s likely to sprout back in a year even if the top should fail.
As I’m sure you know, if you cut a pawpaw tree, it puts up suckers.

2 Likes

Regulus is (Shenandoah x Susquehanna).
Canopus is ( Susquehanna x Shenandoah).
Betria is (Susquehanna x Shenandoah).
Rigel is ( Shenandoah x Susquehanna).
Gatria is (Susquehanna x Shenandoah)
Asterion is a similar hybrid between the 2 cultivars, but not sure which was female parent.

2 Likes

Well said.
An environment with 114 days per year above 100°F with low humidity, prior to a 20 year drought, full of hungry javelina willing to eat anything including thorny cactus to survive is not an optimal environment.
But purchased an additional 10 pounds of cultivar seeds, after the original 15 pounds.
Only need a 1% survival rate now to have an ultra high density planting success.
Decided to plant directly into the ground.
10 seed groupings every 42".
I will thin to the strongest most vigorous tree for each group.
Wild tree tobacco between each group.
The tree tobacco can grow 20ft in first year.
Big leaves.
Going to plant in trenches 12" to 18" below ground level.
Biggest challenge will be the fence & the hungry javelina.
Need to punch deep narrow holes between trees & drip water in the holes, so javelina don’t smell the water!
East yard looking North.

South yard looking south west.

East yard looking north east.

North yard looking west.

North yard looking east.

North yard looking North.

South yard looking SE.

Going to plant this every 42" halfway between pawpaw at 42".
They will be central leader pawpaw with 18" long branches, rows 5ft or 6ft on center, not sure. Might try both.
Tobacco has big leaves.
20221113_221648
Tobacco is heat & drought tolerant.

Call me eccentric if you like everyone & anyone.
Maybe I am.
But I’m betting that I can make this work.
Currently have close to 9,000 seeds.
Hope to end up with 900 plus superior trees, but 90 or 1% will be considered a success!

4 Likes

Since the genetics come from both parents (equally?) is there a particular reason to choose one as the female or mail specifically in a cross?

I’d be curious if anyone here has actually tasted any of these as well and how they compare to the parens. I assume they’re very good, but are they as good or even better?

Sky Field Tropical says:
(“Tom Wahl says Regulus is his best, followed by Asterion and Canopus (personal inquiry)… In terms of fruit size and production combined. Flavor is excellent on all three, but I’ve not had the pleasure of tasting any of his yet. I do have Regulus grafted on three different trees, just waiting for them to bear in another 2 years or so.”)
I’m not certain.
Tom Wahl of Red Fern Farm is the person who has been crossing hundreds of them.
He claims that he will soon have dozens more to choose.
He is having limited availability of Regulus this spring because he is grafting to his own trees to increase supply for 2025 spring.
This is according to:
Kathy Dice (Manager)
Red Fern Farm
13882 I Ave.
Wapello, IA 52653
319-729-5905
[Kathy@redfernfarm.com]
mailto:Kathy@redfernfarm.com
www.RedFernFarm.com

3 Likes

:mouse: :raccoon: :badger:

1 Like

:chipmunk: :fox_face: :raccoon: :mammoth: :mouse: :hamster: :rabbit: :beaver: :hedgehog: :bat: :bear: :otter: :skunk: :badger: :turkey: :bird:

1 Like

Mr “Y” was so inspired he used cement as irrigation canals for great salt lake water.
My knowledge & skill set is more advanced, thanks.
Lots of hungry things here.
Maybe greenhouses all the way is the answer.

1 Like

The gift of your seeds has resulted in me being able to optimize a hydroponics formula before buying my seeds.
Have 25 pounds of seeds now in stratification
Plus have ordered some custom pollinated Susquehanna seeds, (Susquehanna x Maria’s Joy) & (Maria’s Joy x Susquehanna).
And I’m in negation on seeds of a (NC-1 x New Wild Selection).
The last batch of your seed gift germinating.
Many Thanks!!!

2 Likes

:mouse: :skunk: :fox_face:

1 Like

So, @Osteen, your collection of PawPaw trees and seeds…is it for fun, or are you involved in some breeding, or trying to establish an orchard and sell fruit?
It is a fruit somebody could do more with, I’d think.
But, unless there is demand for the product, it’s never going to get the attention of the ‘big guys’.

I have no interest in gaining the attention of the “big guys”. Much is being done with the fruit internationally. Local demand for the fruit already exceeds supply. You may contact me Via email for further personal info. if you wish.

1 Like

:skunk: :mouse: :hedgehog:

1 Like

O, if needed I will plant teddy bear cholla jumping cactus around them!!!
20221115_192032

2 Likes

I found lot 4 times the size of mine, 12 miles from me at a very reasonable price which is right by a wash, has 20 times as many trees, plus a well.
I’m thinking that this might be more pawpaw friendly?

Than this where I’m living.
The above kinda sorta looks like it gets more rain than my place, maybe, lol.
Your thoughts?
Do I go all in & buy 4 times as much land?

2 Likes