Pawpaw Varieties

“RLG4–Medium sized fruit, excellent flavor, very early ripening, original tree from Northfield, MN.”

2 Likes

Mother tree? Pollen donor?

Split Milk

11 Likes

That’s a pretty little tree. I still may add one even if it takes 10 years to reach 3ft tall. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

OK…so Buzz has his grafted trees up for sale as of yesterday and I’m curious if any of you know the background on some of these. I swung him an email as well, but some of you may have more info on the backstories. He was unsure of some of them when I went up there to pick up some trees last year. I know @JustPeachy is friends with him and I assume Buzz has gotten some scion material from him. Anyway, here are the ones I’m unsure about…

Neal’s nameless
Ohio #1
Jumbo Lucky S
Dr. Chill (I knew this at one point, but forget the man’s name or his farm)
Sunsprout
Carmelo (I actually own one of these and know nothing about it)

And I forget…are Cherimo West and Garage West the same variety or not? He has them listed separately.

3 Likes

@Beetree Is that Split Milk? I received one really good looking piece of SM scion, and I just lopped off the top of a mature pawpaw for it.

@weatherandtrees Neal’s Nameless was an unlabeled grafted pawpaw that Neal Peterson directly sold to Ken, who is insistent that it’s not any of the known Peterson pawpaws. Several on this forum have tried it, including two licensed Peterson nursery owners (both of which liked it), who are also a bit stumped because they don’t think it is any of the Peterson pawpaws, hence the name.

Ohio #1 is mine. It really probably should be 1-1, because it’s the first in row 1. It’s a mild pawpaw similar to Shenandoah maybe with a bit more grain texture.

Sunsprout - is a suspected Sunflower seedling. Mellow flavor similar to sunflower.

Carmelo - More of the caramel flavor you’d associate with darker fleshed or richer pawpaws like Susquehanna but less strength.

Cherimo West and Garage West are not the same. Garage West is more coconutty. Cherimo West is more cherimoya like.

5 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I got a GW from you last year and do recall it tasting like coconut. That’s definitely one I’d like to grow here. Do you offer scion in the spring? If not I can probably get a couple of sticks from Buzz.

1 Like

I really liked Garage West and am glad I have some relatively healthy grafts of it.
Could have a fruit or 2 next year.

1 Like

It is. Take a pic for me if you get good growth this year. I made a few copies this year, but all of mine are small… and waiting to go in ground. I’m renting currently :rage::joy:

There’s scuttlebutt that the variegation is due to a virus :scream:

2 Likes

If it is…it’s a beautiful one!

1 Like

Can’t argue with that! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So that is Split Milk and not Spilt Milk,as in the past tense of spill?

Looks like Dr. Chill is a cultivar from Dale Hendricks. Anyone have anything on Jumbo Lucky S?

Thanks for information and your varieties. Ordering from Buzz. Gonna get your ‘Just Peachy Ohio 1-1’ in the ground way down south along the Suwanee river in the peach state.

Where does one acquire this variety? I can’t find any search results. Looks so cool

1 Like

Word on the street is that this could be due to a virus. After learning that could be the case, I’m hesitant to add it to my property for fear of spreading. It is VERY cool looking though.

1 Like

@Beetree
Just saw the pic of your Split Milk. The first thing came to mind was it’s virus-infected. That’s based on a similar look of my apple trees with mosaic virus.

If that tree is not virus-infected, it could be a genetic disorder. Personally, I would be very cautious about this variety, for now.

2 Likes

Hello smart people!

I’m interested in growing pawpaws. So far, Susquehanna, Mango, Potomac, Wabash, and possibly KSU Chappell are what I’ve been looking at.
What’s all your (seeming varied) opinions on these? Am I missing any other good options?

I plan on growing them in far Northern California, most likely in acidic clay. We receive some coastal influence, sparse fog, and being in California’s rainiest county, an average rainfall of about 100 inches/year. There are three separate climates on the property, one a shaded canyon with silty soil. Then a level with good sun, and a nasty clay hard pan hiding decent soil. Finally the upper terrace, full sun, full day, but all clay.

I’m sure it’s a virus or some other thing. I’m not worried In the least where I’m located, as I’ve never seen a wild pawpaw here. I’m sure there are some locally but it is very uncommon to see pawpaw trees here. I found a few along some river floodplains about an hour from my location, but that’s about it.
From what I’ve understood the virus or whatever just slows growth a bit. I’ve had a tree for two years now right next to several others. Haven’t noticed anything on the other trees……yet.

If I were gonna grow a pawpaw orchard or something I might think twice, but two or three pawpaw trees is plenty of pawpaws for me. My friend has three mature pawpaw trees and he can’t come close to eating all the fruit.

1 Like