Pawpaws 2023

Thats interesting. My sunflower fruits are always very sweet and delicious. :yum:

1 Like

I’ll try - it can’t hurt, considering the bad trend some of the plants have been having. Btw, attached images of my most sorry looking, Pawpaw - it’s from 2021, the only one I got to germinate that year. The others are from 2022. :relaxed:

PS - it’s the one on the bottom right.

3 Likes

That looks like my setup where I water them from below in those propagation airpots. That yellowing one has less soil so maybe it’s maximized its nutrients first. I had some from 2020 yellow like that and some fert had them greening back up within a week. I’ll get some pics of mine when I get home later.

3 Likes

Great, thanks! :grin:

Yeah, I’ve been watering by submersing in water last year. This year I’ve just done a mist nozzle 1-2 times a day, and it has been enough to get it moist all way through :relaxed:… btw, I’ve stacked 2 pcs of 1L 1air-pots on top of eachother. :relaxed:

1 Like

I like that. I was experimenting with stacking them this spring, but the curvature was too much for those 1L ones to fit one entirely inside another. Are yours held together in some way (wire ties?) or did you just stack and fill with soil?

2 Likes

A few hundred KSU seedlings coming up in my 7x3.5 foot air pruning bed. I had to put the chicken wire across to keep squirrels from digging in it. So far they’re finding there way through. I believe I’ll be able to just left the wire off when they’re dormant, although I guess I may have to trim side branches if they have any.

7 Likes

They are wrapped together :sunglasses:… it is hard, but I start with the top one, and use a screw to hold the top one together. Then you have to have one hand inside that one, while wrapping the bottom one AND get the bottom in AND … Well, it’s hard, but doable. :joy:… did my first stack in 2021. I could try photographing one of the stacks, but I have no empty ones, so it’ll be hard to see.

1 Like

I’ve got a couple of seedlings with name brand parents. From what I see the genes carry pretty well. Mine are name brand quality fruit.

3 Likes

Questionable of course as to fruit bearing. Would be good to procure and grow seedling from a N.D. that did manage to fruit in your area.

2 Likes

The ‘Sunflower’ pawpaw has no difficulties whatsoever in assimilating Boron.

Mine as Well. They must be assimilating Beu coup Boron thus creating a plethora of Ethylene. :laughing:

1 Like

If I find anything that works in this climate I will be happy to share. I planted over a hundred seeds from northern sources in shaded beds this spring, as well as some ‘select’ seedlings. With as slow as they grow here there may be results to report in about 20 years. :yum:

1 Like

Outstanding! You are a northern pawpaw pioneer with a warm and sharing nature

2 Likes

Welcome to the group. :smiling_face:

1 Like

My statement was an expression of suspecting a possibility, nothing more nor less.
And I provided circumstantial evidence for the claim.
You are making an emphatic proclamation without any evidence.
Have you grafted both Sunflower & a high brix cultivar like Susquehanna, Tallahatchie, Nyomi’s Delicious, or Chappell to the same root system as Sunflower, then done a parts per million analysis of Boron & the other micronutrients?
Have tested the ppm of Boron in the fruit skins between Sunflower & other cultivars?
If not, what evidence do you have of the truth of your definitive statement of things not proven factual???
The 3 most common causes of fruits remaining starchy & extra firm during ripening are:
Under assimilation of Boron, or over assimilation of (Zinc or Potassium).
All 3 of these can result high starch low Brix, which is exactly the type pawpaw KSU has defined Sunflower as being.
Since Sunflower has excessive blooming, there is also high probability of Sunflower over assimilating Zinc.
I’m stating these as theoretical possibilities with circumstantial evidence.
Can you provide any evidence for your position?

1 Like

You are spewing again Zinhead and you should put a lid on it.This is not the place for us to argue about this.This is the Growingfruit.org site which is primarily for people who actually grow fruit. On that note, I remember the pics you posted last year on this forum of your yard in the Sonoran Desert where you were going to plant the 15,000 pawpaw seeds along with tobacco plants etc. for your pawpaw farm where you hoped to hold future pawpaw festivals for enjoying desert grown pawpaw fruits. I and several others who made donations including the free seeds and scion, would like to see pics of your progress if you would be so kind. You also personally promised cloned Asimina trilobas by the 4th of July (you proclaimed that it was going to be ‘Pawpaw Independence Day’) to me and a number of others who I stay in touch with. So… it is July 14th, and we anxiously await our cloned Susquehannas, Lehman’s etc. What say Zinhead?

2 Likes

For air pruning- is the bottom of the box a wire mesh of some sort?

1 Like

Yes, it is 1/4" hardware cloth and I added a light weed barrier cloth on top of that to keep thing soil from dropping through. I filled the bed with 2/3 ProMix BX and 1/3 pine fines and it is 11-12" of media, so a good amount of space for the roots to go before they’re pruned by hitting air.

I recorded some video of the beds as they were filled and planted, which I’ll put up at some point and share here. My biggest concern is protecting the roots during the winter, since I’d rather take them out next spring or might possibly grow them a second year in the bed depending on how big they get. I think for my zone I’ll be able to pile up wood chip mulch all around the outside of the box and that should provide enough insulation, but I keep hearing that 25 degrees will kill pawpaw roots so I’m hoping for a milder winter.

7 Likes

Well done.

1 Like

So, here is a close-up of my double-stacked 1L air-pots. I don’t know if it makes any sense :joy:

Some important points - the double overlap is shifted slightly between the two pots. If it wasn’t, it would mean 4 layer thick at the border between the two pot sides. This way, it is maximum three :joy:

To put the pots together, I first assemble the top (without a bottom of course). Then I use a temporary screw to attach the bottom pot wall to the top pot wall, while I hold my hand inside the top pot. Then I maneuver the bottom pot wall all the way around the bottom of the top pot wall - be aware you have to insert the bottom circle/floor inside while wrapping it around! - getting the “dimples” to match up. In the end, you insert a screw, get it to go through three layers, and screw it shut. Then you can remove the temporary screw from earlier.

Oh, and the top pot wall is the right way around, but the bottom pot wall is turned upside down…

I really do not know if this makes any sense to you - so hard to explain! :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes