Pawpaws 2023

I have never tasted Mango pawpaw. I remember reading that it had won some competition or another in taste, although the flesh was said to be comparatively watery or mushy or something. Do you know whether the taste is reminiscent of real mango in any way, or does the name come from something else?

1 Like

There is over 600 mango cultivars with very different flavor profiles.
There is over 6 different flavor profile categories for Mangifera Indica.
Plus 69 other wild species of mango or Magnifera with very different flavor profiles.
Plus individuals like Dr Richard Campbell is creating new interspecifics between the species.
There is now 4 new interspecifics.
What i heard is that the flavor is (Nam Dok Mia/Banana/Cherimoya) watery with both over ripe & underripe areas in the fruit with wild aftertaste.
I can only quote others, i have not tried it.

5 Likes

Terroir

Ahhh… I love thoze spicy and sassy Nam Dok Mias :yum:

1 Like

Pawpaw tree of the South.

1 Like

I picked up a 50lb bag of 46-0-0 granular urea the other day to use on the pawpaws. I’m going to dissolve it in 1 gallon water jugs before spreading it around each tree. If I used a gallon per small tree, what would you all recommend for the amount of urea used? Play it safe with 1 tbsp for now? The ground is pretty much saturated so it should soak in efficiently.

2 Likes

Sunflower var…

12 Likes

Nice fruits. Are you growing in Portugal?

1 Like

Thanks. Yes i just grow here.

4 Likes

I’m wondering what some of you would do in this case…

I had a 3 y/o nyomi’s delicious struggle all season. It’d push growth and then it would wilt, die, and fall off. It started putting up a sucker a week ago, and I decided to let it grow.

Anyway, today I decided to prune all of the branches off and just keep the leader. The first two bottom branches were all brown cambium at the trunk even though there was a little green remaining in the 1 y/o wood. That got me thinking the whole tree was like that so I pruned a few inches above the graft and it was all brown there too. I cut it at the bottom and it was dead all of the way down.

So for whatever reason the tree died at the base/root level. Should I continue to let that sucker grow out to graft to in the future or just dig it up and plant one of my own seedlings since there was apparently a problem with the original rootstock already before?

2 Likes

I would probably replace the rootstock. I have had N.D. for three years now in this very cool climate. It is growing very well here (by northern standards), putting a couple inches of growth on every year. I also have Wells, PA Golden, NC-10, and Allegheny, as well as seedlings. N. D. seems to be one of the most vigorous. Whether it will every bear fruit here is another matter.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s how I was leaning. It was really vigorous last year, but something obviously went awry with the stock after winter. Maybe the late 5/18 hard freeze did irrecoverable damage?

Maybe I’ll transplant the sucker and as much of the roots as I can onto the edge of the woods and let it grow wild. I took the best looking 1 year wood from the Nyomi and did a hail mary graft onto one of my vigorous potted seedlings, but I don’t expect it to survive since it wasn’t dormant. I figured it was worth a shot.

3 Likes

In the spring, a hard freeze after a couple of weeks of well above freezing weather killed several of mine that were between a foot and three feet tall. Like yours, they resprouted from the roots. Even though there was no obvious growth, I’m confident the trees were waking up because my blooming age trees were all blooming when the freeze hit.

3 Likes

It knocked out my Shenandoah and I’m keeping the rootstock to graft to.

1 Like

I also had damage and a few that died after having started to bud out before the freeze. I’m wondering if heavy freeze blanket would have saved them. They’re small enough to put under cover, not sure why I didn’t try.

1 Like

Are you concerned that that particular rootstock will be susceptible to that again? I had 3 trees barely growing after that freeze and my other 15 or so are thriving after it. My JBG is the next one I’m thinking about chopping although I may cut down to the best low bud and hope it pulls through…maybe do another hail mary graft with the wood from last year.

1 Like

I have some Hail Marys to throw out myself. On the old Atwood and Susquehanna I already did this to, the grafts turned out just fine last year. The Susquehanna rework was JBG & KY Legend and both put on over 2’ of growth last year and are branching nicely now. Atwood rework had Marshmallow and Canopus. All are thriving now… Hoping it continues.

4 Likes

is this wild paw paw big enough to wt graft next year? about 4 foot tall. Located in an area that I am slowly clearing out. There are others of similar size

4 Likes

You inspired me this morning. I took sticks from the struggling shenandoah and JBG and grafted them to some average vigor seedlings. I’m saving the most vigorous for dormant cuttings.

Do you pick all of the small leaves and growth off the scion and let the stock push new growth through or just leave the little bit on? The relative humidity will be consistently high here for the next few days so they should be safe from drying out until mid week.

2 Likes

That’s plenty. That’s thicker caliper than most grafted pawpaw trees you get via online nurseries.

1 Like