Pawpaws in 2026!

Dratted Tree Rats stole my second crop from grafted varieties this year. The seeds I planted from the excellent Peaceful Heritage Nursery put on a lot of growth this past year. Seeds to head height in three years if I’m counting right.

I planted my grove with very tight spacing and now I’m wondering how to prune it. I have seen this excellent thread on Paw Paw Pruning to reachable height and tempted to festoon some of my central leaders to keep them reachable.

I have been trimming the tops of my grafted varieties which have more space but I want to force the tighter planted seedlings to grow more towards best available space. There are no good pictures of interesting Paw Paw forms I can find searching for images.

I don’t like how Pawpaw have opposite branching and have been pruning them to have alternating scaffolds with alot of space between them. I know I’m hurting fruit production but can’t help it. Attractive wintertime form is also important to me. I have been doing a long-term timelapse of the grove and this thread is inspiring me to finally start editing something…

4 Likes