Peach graft logging spring 2018

I scrape the bark before I remove grafts. I had a low rate of takes but I did a lot. So I got about 6 new peaches and 3 nectarines. Not too bad along with 5 new mulberries, a new cherry, 5 new dogwood cherries and about 8 new plums and pluots. It’s been a good grafting year.

1 Like

Breaking the rules, letting this year’s graft bear fruit, but I’m pleased with the idea as winter survival is a bit in question. This is a Rising Star on Prunus Americana. It’s pretty small and just starting to smell peachy. It’s the first peach I’ve ever heard of ripening outside a greenhouse in this area. The pot in the background is tied in with an approach graft for another duplication.

5 Likes

I bridge grafted a peach tree three weeks ago. One week after some leaves turned yellow, mostly on one scaffold. They fell off and that scaffold is about bare. The scaffold next to that one lost about half its leaves. The other half of the tree is green and growing. Still too soon to tell. I wrapped the whole bottom of the tree and covered with tyvek. I don’t want to take that off so I’m crossing my fingers.

I will have to take a current picture. The top right of the left scaffold is what’s dying.

2 Likes

My Contender graft that took is a goner :frowning: But I found that the entire rootstock sucker croaked. I think it did take well; it’s just that that sucker had problems.

The tree it suckered on is extremely vigorous this year, so maybe the sucker didn’t get enough energy. Bummer, because the other 2 grafts on trees proper fried straightaway.

White River done at the same time is doing wonderfully, at least! And one variety of almond took on my almond, too (kind of like a peach) :slight_smile: That was done earlier, before the high heat popped up.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
I need a quick lesson on how to grow a peach pit into a seedling. I’ve dried some pits out for about 2 weeks now and would like to turn them into replacement(s) for my peach tree currently dying back more ech year of old age. Do I plant them now and let them freeze when the ground does in november or put them in the fridge now and plant them in the spring?

I don’t plant any peaches anymore, I just dig up volunteers - they are incredibly fertile fruits. I would just bury pits a few inches and you should be good next spring with new seedlings sprouting. I used to do the fridge way and it works fine, but its easier to just plant pits directly.

2 Likes

@Johnnysapples any update on this bridge graft? How is the tree doing now?

Shortly after I posted about the graft the whole tree started to die. It completely died last month. It has a new shoot coming up so not a total loss.

1 Like

Hi Scott, I am looking for some Asian variety peaches.may I buy some scion wood from you? Thanks!

I went out today and removed the electric tape on my peach seedlings that I grafted over to my unknown peach or to contender. I only had a fifty percent take I think or less maybe but I only lost one rootstock so those can all be grafted again next spring. The trees are planted very close together so I will have to transplant out the grafted trees . Not sure how it will work.

4 Likes

Peach grafts seem to be impervious to girdling or constriction via vinyl electric tape- the tape stretches with their growth. If I remove it I usually wait for a warm day in spring the following year. I have to be more attentive to apples.

Where I girdle peaches is with the wire labels I use. I have to attach them directly to the trunk with small whips I get from the nursery when setting into soil and if I forget to remove them and reattach to a temporary branch during the first growing season, a rapid growing tree may be killed above the wire from girdling.

Interestingly, apples are less likely to be killed above a thin piece of girdling wire. They can usually heal over it.

2 Likes

Indeed,none of the trees showed signs of girdling. They did not grow much this summer as it was very dry most of the summer

1 Like

Hmmm, maybe more rapid growth exerts more actual pressure. I haven’t experienced serious drought here since I began grafting peaches a few years ago.

Certainly, vigorous growth on the rest of the tree at least helps increase the percentage of graft takes, but I got no better results than you last year. I am not sure why, but suspect the high number of cloudy and wet days after grafts were made probably contributed. However, overall peach growth was exceptionally strong.

I’m a dry farmer so ample rain really helps promote vigorous tree growth.

1 Like

Just wanted to give an update on my 2018 peach grating. I grafted on to two seedlings and one big tree. Big tree no takes the tree died later. Both seedlings 100% take but one of the seedlings died later.this is the second seedling.first picture is from May this year. Second pic is from today. Crazy amount of growth this year.
May 2018:

November 2018:

6 Likes

Wow, where did you get that last picture? I have never seen that before. It shows pretty clearly how the ranges differ. I also never saw the callus damage number (86F or so) and death (91?). These numbers are not completely accurate from my experience, I had many scions get above 90F and they didn’t die. But the general trend is still true, any temps in the upper 80s and higher are not good for any graft.

Ah, I didn’t realize that you did it. While I have quibbles about it, overall its awesome! It makes very clear that there is a “window” you are shooting for.

The cherry and plum should have a window, it looks like they only work at one temp which is not accurate. They both have bigger windows than peach in fact, I would say 55-75 for plum and 60-80 for cherry just guessing (there are probably some published numbers here).

1 Like

I have been grafting apples for several years, but this will be my first year grafting peaches. Reading advice here over the years, I am hearing that several days of consistent temperatures in the range from 65 to 75º F is key, but here in the Finger Lakes of NY, that could be late May or early June. I was wondering what folks here think of this as an alternate: graft the peaches early but keep them in pots in our back room until the temperatures outdoors reach the 70s and then plant them in the orchard. Rootstock is Lovell. A friend who is skilled in grafting apple trees suggested it, but she has not grafted peaches.

Thats how I grafted peaches the first year I did grafts. Half of them took so it can’t be too bad a method.

Hi John. I’ve also done most of my peach/nectarine and apricot grafts that way the past few years and it works well. Like you, I get my scion far earlier than appropriate outside temps for grafting, and I prefer to graft indoors with fresher scion.

Thanks. If I even approach 50%, I will be happy.