Peach Leaf Curl-Spray or Not Situation

The tree I am concerned is a Red Star peach in south-central Wisconsin. It was planted in an orchard tended by a teacher-parent group at a nearby elementary school.

Stone fruit and especially peach seems like a dodgy thing this far north, but people are doing it anyway. This tree was going great, approaching its 3rd season producing fruit when it developed a big fat canker exuding sap in the crotch of the trunk where the two main branches fork out. Early in Spring, I applied a conservative non-chemical treatment of excising the canker with an X-acto knife.

Now, the trees started to curl, get bumps on them, with some of them now black and withered. Don’t know if the tree budded more leaves, and a Wisconsin Extension person once told me trees can do this, but there appear to be fresh leaves on the tree without this problem.

Don’t know if this is fungal or a mite outbreak, but my wife grew up on a farm and told my how to look for mites by blowing on the leaf and looking for movement, and I didn’t see any activity, so I think this is fungal.

I also read that once the fungus gets to the leaves, there is nothing you can do apart from spraying in Fall to help bring the tree around next season. The tree is on a school yard managed by a teacher-parent group who “don’t want to use any poisons”, but maybe I can ask if I could apply copper as suggest earlier in this thread?

My question for now is that the tree has a heavy load of peaches “set”, and I am worried if this crop will put yet more stress on the tree to everything else happening to it. Is there any benefit to thinning the crop or removing it entirely? Is a stressed tree putting out an abundant crop and then perishing a “thing?”

Pulling those fruit-lets off the tree is something I can do without getting a bunch of people to agree on a chemical spray – the fruit matures in late July anyway before the students return, if they return depending on how Fall instruction will be handled in our district, so the fruit is pick-what-you -want anyway.

From what I’ve seen, it is not beneficial to spray leaves that are currently infected with the fungus. I would be interested to see if someone has any better information. I’m in SoCal and my nectarine was hit with PLC, but the old leaves dropped and it put on new ones and there are very few instances of PLC remaining. Of course, I do not get much rain after March so the leaves stay dry and I’m careful to only irrigate the base of the tree.

Treating trees on school property can be tough as there are a ton of rules and regulations concerning spraying chemicals on school grounds. You’d probably have to clear it with the local school district, see what the rules are in your area. Do not be surprised if you are not allowed to treat the tree.

It is a good idea to thin peaches, I think the rule is one fruit per 5 leaves around it, but I do not have a lot of experience with them. Someone else can probably chime in. Thinning peaches results in larger, sweeter fruit. A branch overly laden with fruit can break.

1 Like