Peach selection for Mid Atlantic

This post makes me think of Olpea. Haven’t seen him for quite a while. Anyone know if he’s been around?

Indeed, he knows the most about all the commercial peach varieties out there today.

@Olpea! We need you here!

1 Like

Olpea is around. I heard from him last week.

Speed,

Redhaven is great.

Consider Glenglo if you want a peach a week earlier than Redhaven. Glenglo was bred in West Virginny.

If you want a great yellow peach around Aug 21, then consider Harmony (aka Canadian Harmony) instead of Contender. It is almost as cold hardy as Contender, but far superior in taste and disease resistance. It was bred in Ontario.

Windblo and Indian Free would probably work well too, and they get rave reviews.

1 Like

MrsG Those peaches look great. I think the Elberta or Kit Donnnel fits my window better since there isn’t as much overlap.

Interesting to read about Glenglo being a West Virginia Product. Maybe I should plant that to represent. haha Looks like Adams sell it. .

1 Like

These are the Glenglo I sampled from a local Maryland orchard.

Glenglo eats well during the last two weeks of July, right before Redhaven comes on the scene.

Olpea has said that he likes Glenglo a lot too. He is in Kansas.

More info here:

1 Like

… and here:

@scottfsmith, not sure if you mentioned this already, but how’s the disease resistance of Kit Donnell?

Its looking very good so far. Its only fruited one year for me but this was a real test year for diseases on my peaches.

Those Glenglo look great!

I like Red Haven and Contender a lot in my area. Although Contender is a NC peach, it is grown all over the country and often used as a parent in peach breeding. Winblo and Carolina Gold also excellent in my area. Winblo is earlier than Contenter and C Gold is later. A bunch of good peach variety were bred in Georgia, but I’m not sure how well they do in a cooler climate like WV. We did some blind taste test on tree ripe peaches last year. In our small test, people could not tell any difference between the 3 variety.

Matt

I cant quite read the price in the picture. Is it $8.50/basket? How about the size of the baskets? Looks like a lot more than a peck!

$8.50 for the basket load.

Rick,

I believe it’s half a bushel. Their website is outdated, but in year’s past, they were selling peaches for $8 per half bushel. Price probably rose 50 cents since then. See here:

http://www.pryorsorchards.com/whatsavailablenow.html

If it works out to be 8.50 for 1/2 bushel (25 pounds) it only 34 cents per pound! That is the lowest price I have ever seen. Their farm looks great and I wonder how they can make money at that price?

1 Like

That’s not 25 lbs unless those peaches ave 1.5 lbs each. At most it’s half that.

Yes, my estimate would be about 10 lb. Local orchards in my area sell peaches for $2/lb ($1.5/lb PYO).

Matt

I’m real interested in prices since I also sell peaches. I looked at the basket again and I’m pretty sure that its a 1 peck basket (1/4 bushel - about 12.5 pounds). Still the lowest price I have ever seen on peaches.

Rick,

If you look at the link-- their website says they sell peaches at approx 72 cents per pound.

1 Like

I saw their example, but I was not sure that was the actual price per pound. In that case the basket in the picture that sells for $8.50 is a peck. A bushel of peaches weighs around 50 pounds and a peck is 1/4 bushel Better stock up at 72 cents per pound! Prices in my area are similar to the ones mentioned above by Stan, more than 2X your prices.

My vote is that it’s a 1/2 peck basket. It looks like a 1/2 peck basket to me (although it could be a peck).

It’s sort of like trying to guess how many jelly beans are in the jar, but it looks to me those baskets hold around 13 peaches. Five or six on top and a few more than that underneath. Because the baskets are narrower at the bottom, they fill up fast. Those peaches look close to 3", which would make them about 1/2 pound a piece. That would be about 6 lbs. or 1/2 peck.

At $8.50/ basket that would make them about $1.40/lb., a good price for a small quantity of peaches. Most growers here (myself included) sell larger quantities cheaper.

The wholesale price for peaches in MO is about a buck a pound. Last season MO peaches were selling for about $27 a lug or a little over a $1/lb wholesale.

In major peach growing areas, like California and the East Coast the wholesale price of peaches is lower and can fluctuate considerably.

Below is a pic of a 1/2 peck basket, peck basket, and 1/2 bushel basket. I don’t have any peaches right now, so you’ll just have to imagine them. :yum: