Peach thief - human or?

I think they remember

That’s why I don’t quite go along with the thinking “get rid of one, another will just take its place” The new one won’t already know where the goodies are

3 Likes

That certainly seems to be the case with squirrels.

Last year, I had to pick all my butternut squashes early because of squirrel damage, and it also ruined a lot of zukes, which I didn’t much mind.

This year, not a bite taken. The marauding squirrel must have died off w/o passing on its secrets.

2 Likes

Wildlife can eat a lot of fruit. I’ve lost track how many coons and possums I’ve trapped this season. These critters almost never work alone. This summer, one night, my live trap actually caught two coons in the trap. I’ve never seen that before.

Bear. Why is no one mentioning bears? They are able to climb to the top of the tree, and they are big enough to eat all of your fruit. They are really hungry.

1 Like

Bears snap big branches, coons snap small ones, squirrels snap twigs, birds leave very little evidence.

Coons eat at site and crap while they eat if we are talking quantity. Pits are left under the tree- they don’t seem to swallow them. If pits are gone, I believe it’s always the work of squirrels, and they can be very careful in areas where they are hunted. If I catch a glimpse of a squirrel in a tree, by the time I grab my shotgun and open my door there usually is no sign of a squirrel on my property any longer.

1 Like

What a thread! As a very cruel twist of fate, this past weekend I had two trees totally cleaned out AGAIN. This time they were very nice Asian Pear trees, 5 year old trees both on Bet. root stock. One with a fairly large ripe crop, the other with a respectable amount of fruit, but not quite ripe yet. I didnt get my trail cams up in time sadly. I am ruling out people due to the fact there is a large number of pears and no sign. Ladders would have been needed, as these are tall trees. I am really mad as I love Asian Pears and was looking forward to them. The theft was in about a 2 week period. Some branches broken that looked like a racoon would have needed to climb. There are no known bears around my area and the tree would not support weight of a bear. I guess netting is in order next year.

1 Like

If there are broken branches, probably coon or possum (coons are often twice as big). Aluminum flashing stapled to the trunk easily stops these two.

2 Likes

Pardon my inappropriate humor at the expense of anyone who here has been a victim. I can’t help but think if everyone had a trail camera, these would be entertaining videos to watch…

I have a trail camera to watch the local deer walk by and browse the crabapples. This thread got me thinking to position or buy an extra one to watch the raccoons and squirrels on the peaches next year.

3 Likes

Hi Alan,

Do you have any pics of trees with the aluminium flashing on it, if so could you post? How far up the trunk do you come?

Thanks,

Spud

1 Like

I did post such pictures recently, on a similar thread. Anyone else know where it is? Big hassle for me to post pictures.

1 Like

I found the pics - thanks!

1 Like