Peach tree deaths and replacements

Hi PomGranny,

I am west of you in the Piedmont region. I think the soil is very different in your area, where I am at everything is red clay based. I am not sure if this applies to you and your soil but the trick I learned on growingfruit (this forum) is to plant my peaches in raised containers 4 ft x 4 ft x 1 ft high. As long as I plant in raised containers I usually get healthy trees that don’t die/runt. Putting peach trees straight into the ground is like rolling the dice - sometimes I get nice healthy trees and other times I get very unhealthy/runted trees. No issues/100% success rate in raised containers. . I planted a bunch of peach trees this year and I lost two, both went straight into the ground and I am certain they drowned from the extreme rain this year.

Best of luck with your fruit/trees.

Spud

3 Likes

Hey good to see you back “again”. I agree with spud daddy .
A raised mound may be the ticket.
As I noticed in one of your pic.s ,you are right on the water. Likely have a high water table. .?
Peaches don’t like wet feet.
Best of luck with “everything” !

1 Like

Re: N passing from leaf to buds.

Thought you might be interested. I sprayed 50#s of N per acre (100#s of cheap Urea per acre) a week ago. Leaves are certainly starting to fall off, but although somewhat burned, the foliage still looks decent, all things considered.

This observation makes me think absorption is decent. I also now remember reading leaf absorption of N is better than ground absorption, but I can’t be sure they weren’t talking about low biuret urea, but I don’t think they were, although I have no doubt low biuret would be better.

3 Likes

@SpudDaddy, @Hillbillyhort
I am going to take your ‘duo’ advice on any fruit trees I plant in the future - and plant HIGH.
I did that ‘somewhat’, before . . . but apparently not high enough. Thanks.

1 Like