Peach trees and my losing battle with OFM

@Paddy
How’s your OFM situation this year?

I forgot to spray my two potted peach trees. Saw shoot flagging this morning (while flagging leaves were still green, not brown). I pinched off two damaged shoots. Hit on the larvae inside on both. Wish I was this lucky with lottery.

@smc and @galinas - have your peach trees show sign of OFM yet?

1 Like

Tippy, is it possible that OFM directly attack peach instead of the green shoot? I don’t have flagging shoots but I do have something bit my peaches and peaches are oozing out a drop of clear juice. I am wondering what insects bit the peaches

1 Like

What do you normally spray your peach with for OFM? I haven’t seen any damaged shoots yet but I was actively spraying for plum curculio all spring. I did a spinosad spray a week ago and so far so good. However, my potted peach that has gotten no spray all year remains undamaged. All the flowers got frosted so I had nothing worth protecting.

I didn’t look - too busy with rabbits :grin:

@IL847 yes, they attack fruit, too. Holes that ooze without a crescent scar often a sign of moth damage. Once larva is inside, a tunneling pattern and their specific characteristic is what you can tell one kind of moth apart from another. It is harder to differentiate between OFM and coddling moth.

Injured holes made by Plum Curculio easier to identify. PC larvae also have no legs (moth larvae have legs). Some times I have moth larva and PC larva in the same fruit.
Pen State has a nice short summary.

Tree Fruit Insect Pest - Oriental Fruit Moth.

Before this year, I sprayed Surround with Spinosad. Spinosad is good for moth-type but not plum curculio. You are fortunate that PC have not found your trees. Spinosad would not be that effective.

1 Like

If the ooze is clear, with no frass, I think it can be stink bugs feeding. They don’t lay eggs in the fruit, more a nuisance. My limited experience is that moth entries are comparatively messy. I’m still fairly new at this though, so take that for what it’s worth.

Aporeciate your input. You might be right. I did see more stink bugs recently。I just sprayed Triazcide for PC. I guess it did not effect the stink bugs

My understanding is that Stink bug damage is a cat-facing type, not a single hole entry.

When you see holes on a fruit, if it is a crescent shape, it’s plum curculio. If it is single hole, it can be OFM, coddling moth or lesser apple worm( for my area). Entry holes on peaches usually cause oozing. Frass seems to happen when worms exit the fruit.

@alan Does it actually say once and done on the bottle? I have never seen that. I can’t get it to show up on google either.

Note the comment: This product has been discontinued.

When people mention “name brands” for insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc… I often look them up on domyown because they do a good of showing the label and the ingredients. Which in this case is gamma-Cyhalothrin 0.08%

So this is it then? Spectracide® Triazicide® Insect Killer For Lawns & Landscapes Concentrate | Spectracide

Likely the only thing that matters is that that has the same active ingredient at the same percentage. Even if it were marketed by a different company than Spectracide I’d still consider it “the same thing”.

Notes on that active ingredient FYI:

Gamma-cyhalothrin belongs to the pyrethroid family, patented by Cheminova.

It is the most active of this family of chemicals. It is used as a broad spectrum insecticide and agriculture product.

It’s mode of action is a nerve toxin.

The use rates of gamma-cyhalothrin are some of the lowest of insecticides. This means that there is less of the active ingredient in the environment.

Gamma-Cyhalothrin can be found in Optimate CS, Nextide and Fentrol.

1 Like

Thankyou

What this means is at least somewhat mysterious to this dumb farmer. If a chemical is more potent it may require much less of it to do equivalent environmental damage as a less potent one. Newer compounds tend to be more concentrated so I have to wonder if marketing doesn’t play into this narrative, even if it comes out of universities. Industry holds its sway everywhere, of course.

I’d like to put the question to someone a lot more knowledgeable than me on the subject, maybe that’s you.

I dont spray my peaches or anything else with chemical pesticides… never will.

Pest like ofm larvae get most of them… but I do find a few that they missed… it may only be 10% that I get to eat… but those 10% I can feel good about eating… or letting my wife and kids eat.

When we sell our current property and start again in new location… not sure I will even add peaches again. If I do… perhaps 1 only.

The reality of peaches for me is much of the time… total loss to late frost… and when they do produce… pest get the most of them… I get just a few.

There are other fruits, berries, figs, etc that i no spray and get lots of nice fruit. Going to focus on those going forward.

TNHunter

1 Like

If you grow what can be grown without special input, you really don’t need this forum for much. Because you’ve made the decision not to use chemicals (synthetics) you’ve never gotten used to successfully growing peaches, plums, apples…

Once you become used to it, it’s pretty hard to give up. I won’t eat my first really good fruit until I pick it off my trees. My earliest apricots are almost ripe and I only did a single fungicide spray, which may have been unnecessary for this variety, but that is because the tree is too early for our pests and I cheat by growing them against my houses eastern and southern wall. The following fruit I will be harvesting this season all required at least two insecticide sprays and usually some fungicide.

I do understand that where you are more common destructive frosts alter the equation considerably.

Just because you do not want to spray does not preclude you from all of the varieties of fruit discussed and information discussed in this forum. Many of us grow berries as well! I found that what is great about this forum was the inspiration its members give you to be a very good grower and perhaps try other fruits. The information here is fantastic and accessible . You can always ask questions. It is also great for discovering new varieties of what you already grow. :relaxed:

3 Likes

It is good that you have such determination.

I don’t know where you are going to move to. I hope it is a climate where there is no brown rot. BR does not leave you 10% good fruit. It takes all.

Ask @thecityman , your fellow Tennessean.

1 Like

@mamuang

People have all kinds of reasons for what they do… some make good sense, some perhaps not.

I watched my Mother die of colon cancer… I have a colon problem myself (not cancer) but the more damage you have to your colon, from any condition… often ends up being cancer in the end.

I have had part of my colon removed twice, not a fun experience at all… I was headed for a 3rd surgery and finally found a solution on my own (well with the help of others online who had the same or similar problems)…

Carbs are the DEVIL (for me)… since learning how to eat and seriously reduce carb intake, or when necessary (for a healing period) completely eliminate them… life has been good.

I went from 220 lbs, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, extremely high triglicirides, heart issues, gut issues, nasty authritus symptoms… which I took several Rx drugs to (help ???) with…

To 150 lbs, and absolutely none of the above mentioned symptoms… and off all meds.

And YES… I will still read and contribute here, even if I don’t grow peaches… I have had decent luck with plums and apples with no spray, and will always wonder what other berries I might grow and have good luck with.

My little Mack apple tree is loaded with fruit now… I thinned the bottom branches, all I could reach. It is 18-20 ft tall, so can’t reach it all, and did not thin the top. It is dropping some fruit now, and most of it is actually turning red, and dropping… but the rest remains, nice and green still and sizing up some now looking good.

I took 4-5 of those dropped red apples this morning, pealed them sliced them and we sautéed them in butter, a little coconut sugar, and cinnamon a good treat for breakfast.

Note - even though I follow strict Keto diet with Intermittent Fasting… I have found that about every 2 weeks, I can revert back to Paleo diet for a weekend and enjoy myself a little more with a few moderatly sweet things. It is a nice break from the strict diet I have to follow (the majority of the time) to stay healthy.

Mamuang… near 20 years here with my two peach trees and never had any brown rot.
My Sister across town, some years it takes all of hers… but never mine (so far).

The last peach I planted, Rising Star, is said to be brown rot resistant… If they could only make one that resisted those dang OFM - I would be in good shape.

What a NICE Saturday (a little hot) but a good day to be alive for sure.

TNHunter

3 Likes

Good on Ya! Stay healthy and stay here!