Peach Variety Suggestions for Ohio- 5b

Thank you VERY much for the information and also supplying the pages of the nursery to order from.

I’ve noticed the same thing about the ripening times of a lot of peaches. There isn’t a lot of time difference between some varieties. One week + or - isn’t a long of enough stretch of time to use or process/can/freeze properly two trees full of peaches. My luck- if I have two trees close to ripening together they are both full or fruit- have only one tree ripening around that time I get about 6 pieces of fruit! I will look at the Autumnstar information. Thank you.

I will look at PF35-007. How is the taste?
The late frost is what usually gets the fruit buds here. Last year one local orchard lost all their peach crop and it was estimated at $20K loss. They are about 30 minutes north of me. Strange thing is that area from about that fruit farm and north seem to get a lot more bad weather than I get. Just that little bit farther north than me. It has always been that way as long as I can remember.

PF35-007 is like most of the late yellow peaches I grow which taste about the same most years. O’henry is maybe a tad better than most, but most late peaches are a little less juicy than earlier peaches and a sometimes a little less sweet, but they tend to have a good strong peachy flavor.

1 Like

I was looking at the O’Henry peach variety. I had an order form ready to send to TOA with O’Henry as my peach tree choice. That was one reason why I held off. Not knowing if there were some other varieties I should consider. I figured the later peaches would perhaps be less juicy but I though perhaps the peach flavor would be enhanced. Such as with most late apple varieties flavor seem more intense.

You might look at this post. I know Ohio is just outside of what people consider the mid-atlantic but it’s close enough.

Peach selection for Mid Atlantic

1 Like

Re. PF24 C and Autumn Star, I have both. PF24 C flower buds are a lot hardier than Autumn Star.

The winter of 2014 ( Jan- March), we had really bad winter in term of several extremely cold days. About 50% of PF 24 C buds survived and only 15-20% of Autumn Star buds survived.

Then last spring, the late freeze in April, killed all the buds of peaches, nectarines and Satsuma plum.

4 Likes

First peach, Sugar May, second, Desiree (or Harrow Diamond if you can find it), third, Glengo, 4th, Jonboy, 5th Earnie’s choice or Coralstar, 6th, PF28, or Messina if that’s not early enough (Harcrest is hard to find but great at this time- resists brown rot), 7th Laurol, 8th Victoria.

This is for S. NY and most are available when not sold-out from Adams County Nursery. Indian Free is a great late white and there are many wonderful nectarines such as Silver Gem that I prefer to peaches in their season. Also Gold Dust tastes great in Glenglo season but I haven’t figured out how to manage it yet- grows more wood than peaches for me.

4 Likes

I forgot about Adams County Nursery’s maturity chart. Here’s the link https://www.acnursery.com/doc/8/ACN-maturity-chart.pdf

1 Like

O’Henry is good but in some areas it is susceptible to bacterial spot. The PF peaches, almost all of them are bac spot resistant.
You mentioned white peaches, Indian Free is a white peach with high sugar, but also with high acid. It holds up to any of the yellows in flavor. It also is late bloomer. I had full crop dispite the late April freeze.

4 Likes

Alan,

I’m glad you mentioned that. I grew Gold Dust for a few years and it wasn’t very productive. One day in a mood of disillusionment and frustration, I cut it down. Since then I’ve wondered if I should have given it more time.

Please let me know if yours ever starts to kick in and really produce.

1 Like

Also you like big peaches, and GD is definitely not that- maybe the reason it tastes so good is because so many leaves serve so few small peaches. Wouldn’t be the first time I observed that in a variety.

2 Likes

Over here GD produces fair crops, I definitely thin but not as much as other varieties. Also very good peach here but does not size up well like Alan says, probably cause its pretty early, first week of june here in California. It also can cling to pit a bit. DWN states not an early bloomer which helps you guys a little.

1 Like

Every other early I listed has bigger fruit than GD except Sugar May, which is extremely early. Earlys do tend to cling. Can’t remember for sure, but I think Glengo is free. Olpea likely knows, he has more experience with it than I do. I’ve only fully fruited it the season before last and was mostly frozen out last year.

Yes, I just realized both my earlier peaches are larger than GD. But I do think its a winner here anyways, very good flavor about the size of a tennis ball. Probably not good for market though do to size.

It has such good flavor that birds here favor it over any other early peach I grow. If I let the peaches get fully ripe on the tree they become bird food. High sugar, deep orange flesh. Rich like a late.

2 Likes

I’d probably describe it as semi-free. I’ve just harvested it two years, but that’s more or less how it’s been for me. Some fruits you can twist back and forth to get them apart and some are more clingy.

Alan you mentioned Sugar May a couple times. Are you sure you don’t mean Rich May? I grew a couple trees of Sugar May and finally cut them down last fall because the flavor wasn’t very good (and pretty susc. to bac. spot).

What do you think about Carolina Gold? It did fine for me in Z5. It has been in the ground for 2 years now and the tree is full of flower buds.

Tony

I’ve grown it for quite some time and like it. Good flavor. Beautiful yellow flesh when cut open (no red in the flesh). Last summer I had one customer specifically request Carolina Gold. She asked for them all summer and they finally came ripe and she was happy. I ordered a couple more of these trees through Vaughn for this spring.

One downside I’ve seen is that sometimes it’s not been the most productive peach. This is a variety that is best to thin late after the fruitlets have solidly set. It doesn’t take much thinning.

2 Likes

Thanks for the infos. Have you try to grow the Valley Sweet peach from DWN. I am looking forward to Harvest this tree for the time in the mid season.

Tony