Peached Out

I’m getting a Zephyr in the spring from ACN. How will I control the brown rot while using Clemson bags? I get brown rot on my peaches too which I spray with Immunox before I bag but it doesn’t control all the rot.

I spray with Bonide’s Infuse and Fruit Tree Guard (with added NuFilm to both) alternately every two weeks, starting around mid April till mid June, then I bag my fruits and no sprays afterwards. This year I did four sprays, last year I think I did five. Very little rotting on any of my fruits, and even then it’s mostly cracked ones. The only exception is when we get days of continuous rain at ripening time, in that instance I got rotting in about 10-20% of my nectarines.

1 Like

The store peaches have been pretty good for me this year. You’re right, though. Be they can be quite disappointing.

1 Like

A couple of pieces of advice: Don’t let the tree fruit in the first three years so that it gets well established. Zephyr fruits are the largest of all nectarines, and they will drain the tree if it’s not well established and it will get stunted. In the fourth year onwards, strict fruit thinning is necessary for fruit size and quality and to save scaffolds from breaking. If you do that you will be rewarded with an unparalleled flavor!

2 Likes

I applied beneficial nematodes this year everything else is totally organic

10 Likes

Wow, Paul!!! You have some beautiful peaches there. Wish I was your neighbor. I had a fairly good crop from my seven trees; but I shared quite a bit of them with my wildlife friends…you know…Mr. Raccoon, Mr. Squirrel, and Mr. Chipmunk…and all their friends and relatives. I used Scott Smith’s spray plan with Surround to disguise the peaches and apples and have come out ok with it overall. I’m in Middle Tennessee and was, due to COVID 19, able to find the time to get a head start on the Asian Fruit Moth. They came and died by the tens of thousands and I found only a few peaches with any larvae in them. Got a lot of Contenders and another midseason tree put up in the freezer. So I understand your being tired of peeling and slicing and dicing the fruit. I hope your harvest continues to amaze you.

1 Like

The bees are so funny to watch. They get absolutely drunk on the sugar. You can see them climbing on the peach and staggering around and falling over while still trying to get more nectar. Hard workers they are for their hives.

2 Likes

WOW! So many beautiful peaches. Peaches are absolutely delicious when you pick them from your trees. Bad luck for me, get them only from groceries. I think have a better chance to winning a lottery than buy good peaches from a store.

1 Like

should see the ones we get here in n. Maine. can’t believe they would even try to sell something like that. had some fresh ones once from a friend that brought them up from his trees in M.D . man those were the best! sure wish we could grow them here.

My Contender peaches are now ripe. I have 2 trees with one so young it just had a few fruits… Picked 1.5 bushels and left about 1/2 bushel for another picking. I really am amazed at how good a peach crop it has been this year for yield and flavor on all my varieties. I believe this was the best tasting year I ever had for Contender peaches.

8 Likes

It was a tremendous year for peaches. We were open all weekend selling Contenders. We sold out…it’s been a record year for selling blueberries & peaches.

10 Likes

Beautiful peaches.

1 Like

the hot weather we had definitely payed off for the warmer weather liking fruits and veggies. beautiful peaches! still waiting for breeders to come out with a solid z4 hardy peach.

1 Like