Peaches from June to Oct in the Northeast

Yes Bob, I got it a month off, you got it right. Autumnprince would ripen in early Oct. for me. Maybe it would work here.

Maybe it is the result of our longer days half the year. This is interesting- “Empirical Data” at its finest.

It is not something that has been studied but has serious implications for varieties that can be grown in any region- not only if they will ripen, but probably in some cases, what will be the quality of the fruit.

1 Like

It’s interesting how you favor the Heath Cling over Victoria. I like HC mostly as a cooking peach, although it is interesting and certainly not bad off the tree if you aren’t turned off by all the fuzz. I much prefer the flavor of Victoria off the tree, but they have all turned to mush in my fridge while HC is still firm and good. You are probable a fan of low acid and might enjoy the Flavorburst peach (not a late).

HC has made it possible for me to enjoy peaches from my trees from June until Nov.!

I liked the meaty texture of Heath Cling. Victoria was good, but it struck me as a very normal peach, while HC was more interesting, though not too strongly flavored. I’m glad to hear that HC is a good keeper- that becomes more important for the last variety of the season. Most of the charts/info I’ve seen also puts Victoria about 2 weeks earlier than HC, so maybe that also had something to do with how well HC kept.

I doubt anyone has compared ripening times in the east coast of HC to anything. They were only a few days apart this year in my orchard. HC just keeps better- it is a firmer and drier peach that doesn’t even soften on the tree completely.

I agree that HC is particularly unusual but any good peach in late Sept is unusual. I believe most people would prefer the taste of Victoria but will offer both from my nursery.

Just started harvesting my 1st crop of Autumn Prince and here are some initial observations:

It has a nice classic yellow peach taste, not as sweet as O’Henry, but still a keeper for such a late season peach. It has been hot and dry here in North Ga for most of the summer and the tree was not watered which may have contributed to the fruit being on the smallish side. Quite a few of the peaches appear to have peach scab. I have read peach scab is more likely to occur on a 1st year crop, the tree got little summer pruning and was only sprayed a couple of times with Captan with was probably not enough so I thinking the peach scab can be managed in the future. Anyway, its nice to have peaches in mid September.

5 Likes