Peaches in Maine

I would say Veteran is in the same category as Madison in many ways. In fact, most of those old peaches seem to be a lot alike. Veteran, Madison, Redskin and Surecrop all had good crops after a harsh spring, none color well (but as I recall Surecrop wasn’t too bad in that regard) They all tend to drop fruit more readily than newer varieties, but they all seem to produce fairly clean fruit here, even if it isn’t very pretty.

Below is a pic of a Madison. I don’t know if you can see, but it measures 2.9" at the widest point.

Here is the same peach in the middle of a basket w/ a few Carolina Golds. The Carolina Gold was a big peach this year. Normally it’s been a smaller peach. In all fairness, the Carolina Gold tree didn’t have a lot of fruit, whereas the Madisons had to carry a lot. The difference is stark though.

I got some Veterans from a 3rd leaf tree this year. A few tested at 15 brix, one was 14. They weren’t big (most just under 2"), but were tasty and had more color than I expected. Now I’m waiting for a lone Contender to ripen.

1 Like

No squirrels…and a deer fence to keep them out.

Please take a picture of your orchard. How many peach trees do you have?

2 Likes