Peaches - NEED CULTIVAR SUGGESTIONS

I am in Zone 5b in NY.

I am looking for late yellow peaches that ripen from late August through September that are good for fresh eating and if they are good for canning that would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?

Thanx
Mike

look up 28-007 plant patent 14778

Stark has it, but is pricey

@MES111,
I linked @Olpea’s Peach Report in 2018 for you here.

2018 peach report.

You can see those late peaches on Mark’s list. I want to add my own experience re. some varieties I have. As you may know, you are in a boder line zone for peaches. The most worrisome issue for you is late freeze.

To me, bud hardiness is the most important as many of the trees will survive your zone but not many flower buds will survive late freeze.

Among late peaches on Mark’s list, I have had Carolina Gold, Madison, PF24 C, PF25, Autumn Star.

These varieties have survived late freeze (including this past spring) better than other varieties. (I had about 20 varieties before I removed two trees last month).

The 5 I listed are late peaches and all tasted good to very good.

Hopefully, Mark will chime in.

@mamuang
Wow, thanx

Mike

1 Like

Great link.

1 Like

This was the 2019 version. Thanks to @olpea

1 Like

Sorry I’m a little late answering this thread. Thanks Tippy for the heads up.

I really don’t have a whole lot to add from the last couple years of peach reports. I don’t think I’ve come out with a 2020 peach report because we only had about 10% peach production this year. Still, I’ll try to write up an abbreviated one anyway.

The last couple years I’m really just tweaking the varieties I prefer anyway. No big surprises. I started out trialing over 100 peach varieties, and have pretty much sorted out what works best here for my orchard.

I am still trialing Wisconsin Balmer. Last spring I got some new Tiana peach trees in. I have one new peach I have ordered for next spring, called Orion. It’s a flat white peach ACN offered a few of. That’s about the extent of any new trials for my orchard.

1 Like

Mark, I got a new ACN catalog recently, looks like they have some new peach/nect varieties coming. Did you get the catalog? If not, I could post some info on them if you or others are interested.

Actually, you can find out about them on their website-

https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/peach-trees

https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/nectarine-trees

They do have some new flat peach varieties that aren’t listed on the site, tho. They’re called Orion and Galactica, both are white fleshed.

I did order a couple Orion for next spring. According to the rep they were the last couple trees of that variety they had left. But maybe there are more now.

Mark,
Late peaches in KS probably will do well. In my area by the time it’s Oct, it is quite cool/chilly. I don’t know if peaches could get its sugar up. We also have rain in the fall, too.

KS, overall, is hotter than here from spring to fall.

Good score. Sounds like an interesting variety. Just for curiosity sake, which is your best flat peach performer?

Madison, PF 27 and 28 are particularly cold hardy for early Sept and fine peaches. Messina is big and tasty. Redgold nectarine is an amazing late nect and better than any peach in its season here if you want high brix with some acid punch. Encore is a fine peach and extremely reliable, but Laurol may be my replacement for it for mid Sept. The only reliable option I’ve found for late Sept is Victoria. It is indispensable to me for its lateness and good quality. I wish Indian Free performed better for me because it is the most unique and highest acid,and sugar peach I grow.

Jen at ACN has sold me on Selena, which has a longer harvest than others that ripen about its season in early to mid Sept. She rages about the quality and I can sell you one of my trees when shipments arrive if ACN is sold out.

I’ve tried several flat peaches. Sweet Cap, Sweet bagel, TangOs one and two, BuenOs one and two, Saturn, Flat Wonderful, and Galaxy*. The ones which perform best would be Saturn and Sweet Cap. Both were very consistent croppers. However I removed Sweet Cap because of flavor issues. It was a sub acid peach which was sweet but really didn’t have much flavor at all. This was not only my observation, but customers as well.

Saturn is considered sub acid too, but customers love it. It has considerably more flavor than Sweet Cap. In all but the worst years, Saturn sets about a million fruit per tree, so always requires lots of thinning time. It has a terrible stem tear issue. We can hardly pick the fruit without stem tears, so we do the Saturns U-pick mostly. It turns out if you pre-pick the fruit and put the stem tears at the stand for sale, nobody will buy the stem tears you picked, regardless of how you explain it to customers. But if you tell customers before they go pick that the variety naturally gets lots of stem tears while picking, they are OK with it and will happily pay for the fruit they pick with stem tears.

Some people have issues with brown rot on Saturn, but it’s been one of the cleanest peaches I grow. Hardly any rot at all.

We also sell a lot of TangOs 1 peaches. They are terrible rotters for me. And the skin inks something horrible, with just a little bit of rain. It’s really hard for me to get a good looking TangOs 1. But I still keep them because people like them, and they do generally produce a lot of fruit.

Both the BuenOs series peaches were losers for me.

Flat Wonderful was a decent peach. I probably ought to grow that one again. I got rid of my one tree because it was in my backyard in a more and more shady spot. As the shade increased, the flavor went down. It was productive and easy to grow.

Sweet Bagel was ungrowable here because of it’s tremendous affinity for bac. spot.

I have an asterisk beside Galaxy above, because although I had two trees of them, they never fruited because they bloomed too early.

2 Likes

Alan and I have discussed this before, but PF 28-007 generally performs poorly here. Alan has had good luck with it. I fruited the peach for several years and finally pulled the trees out last year because of production problems. Messina was a very poor performer for me.

Encore has trouble getting sweet here, which is why I am trialing Tiana. As Alan mentioned, I’ve also found Encore a very reliable producer.

Right now I prefer Carolina Gold and PF35-007, to the above varieties I mentioned, for my climate. The problem is Carolina Gold ripens a few days earlier than the Encore window, and 35-007 ripens a few days later.

Again these comments are based on growing conditions at the KS/MO border. Based on Alan’s previous comments, these varieties perform differently on the East Coast.

1 Like

Michael’s climate is a bit cooler than mine but he’s only about an hour and a half driving from me and I have clients pretty close to him. His weather would be a little closer to Paul Fridays testing ground to mine and much more than to yours. I’m pretty sure that if 28 even performed as poorly in the middle eastern states that it has for you, ACN wouldn’t be propagating so much of it after all these years.

As far as quality of late yellow peaches here, I’ve not experienced much difference in brix so much as size as they perform here, but I haven’t tried nearly enough of them. OHenry was promising but seems to not be hardy enough. I’m not sure. I’ve planted a few in slightly kinder sites than mine and none have died. Unlike you, I don’t have long rows of single varieties in same soil, same sun to judge them by, but I do have the advantage of a wide range of home orchard type sites.

1 Like

I had the same experience with Sweet Cap. It grew quite well, was significantly larger than Saturn, but the flavor was off. For me it was a bit of that “green” flavor in the background. Saturn, in spite of the stem tear issues, has much better flavor. I removed my Sweet Cap tree.

1 Like

In the northeast, the problem with Saturn is brown rot and bird predation but it is one of my favorite white peaches for flavor because of its relatively high brix. I’ve started growing it in my nursery because people tend to really like it and it’s at least easier to grow than TangOs. I prefer TangO’s when they are well thinned and we happen to be dry for the three weeks preceding ripening. when they are ripened on the tree they lose the rubberiness and become world class, if only for their originality in texture. When I offer samples to clients and tell them it’s a Mango peach they want to buy a tree. We’ve had 3 or 4 very wet springs in a row, and without dawn to dusk sun the peaches have been a mess with or without frequent fungicide. Almost all fruit eventually splits at the pit and rots from there. I had two ready to sell in my nursery this season and left them in the ground because I didn’t want to saddle a client with the issues they come with.

2 Likes