Pear buds, blossoms, and fruit 2017

When do you think you are going to put your first pear graft on clark? My old tree is awake with small leaves on sprouts that I left to graft to but my ohxf 87 are still fast asleep, in fact I cut some scion off of them last week and sent it out.

1 Like

Nice to see your pear flowers made it Clark. How is it that there are not bees in the photos, are you seeing pollinators?

1 Like

They look healthy. I predict that you will have your best harvest this year or at least I hope you do. Can’t wait to see the pictures of the limbs hanging heavy with large fruit.

1 Like

Bleedingdirt,
Those are great looking trees! Congratulations!
Derby,
I’m going to graft very soon. Im waiting for 70’s daytime temps and 50’s evening temp. I may not get that perfect weather.
Steve,
Those bees were working Willows and peaches and ignoring my pears. Thankfully flys, moths etc will work pear blooms.

Bill,
Some of my pears are light on their crop but overall your right probably as good a crop as ever. I never know why some trees don’t produce every year but there are times they just don’t fruit much.

1 Like

This excites me… lol!

Katy

10 Likes

Those look great Katy I’m always glad to see those fruitlets like that.

Thanks…just started growing fruit last year so all is new and exciting so far. My Kieffer looks great and is covered in fruit (will I need to thin?) but my Orient is just now waking up and looks to be going straight to leaf. It has been a bit worrisome. And I rescued a Moonglow off the pavement at Walmart last night after storms left it on the bottom of the heap.
katy

2 Likes

Normally you pick the fruit off the first year but I would leave some on your kieffer pears on if it was me. Kieffers are good strong trees. I would water it a little extra since it has fruit on during the really dry times.

It was in the ground last year and had 2-3 fruit that dropped off… it’s about a 9 foot tree

1 Like

Katy,
Let the kieffer keep all of its fruit and don’t thin it. That’s a much larger tree than I thought you were talking about. Our trees are a little behind yours. Here are a couple of photos of my pear orchard from this morning.

9 Likes

The photos above you took 16 days ago of the blooms really shaped up into fruitlets quickly. That’s going to be a great tree that is very likely to be around for the next couple of generations to pick pears from.

2 Likes

Those are beautiful! Glad the cold didn’t get everything!

1 Like

Katy,
Thank you! Here are a few more of Bartlett blooming and Harrow Sweet starting to show color.

1 Like

Love those pink anthers…those photos are perfect. I love spring! And then you get fruit…

I think we are a bit limited on what pears we can grow here in the southern heat. Bartlett for sure has problems. Those are sure nice blossoms though.

1 Like

You liked that one set of blooms so much you posted it three times! Nice pics, tho.

A couple of my pears (Orient and Pineapple) are pushing out some little leaf sprouts, it’s been warm the last few days, and will be in the 60s during the day and not get below 45 at night for the next week. The Moonglow is still lagging behind in that regard.

The apples are still asleep, but this upcoming warm stretch ought to wake them up as well. My two little peach whips pushed out some pink buds a month ago, and promptly got fried by some nights in the teens last week. But, no big deal, they’re not near ready to produce.

2 Likes

Out of a whole tree worth of Bartlett blooms I guess I did kind of pick on one branch. Glad to read your apples and pears are doing well.

2 Likes

Lots of rain today and my small yellow pears are starting to bloom. A late pear such as these and others like it such as harrow sweet can be a real asset at times.

6 Likes

The local flowering pear are about to bloom . Some have started to open . The cool down has stopped progress . My fruiting pears are always in bloom after the flowering types are about done .

1 Like

Jealous…I haven’t had a single blossom on any of my pear trees yet.

1 Like

So what is happening here?

Only spot on the tree…