Pear disease and Insect identification

Clark how do you control stink bug? Which substance are most effective to spray?
How’s your experience of traps?

1 Like

Traps are the way to go. My problem with them is limited. Don’t mind an occasional pear marked up and stink bugs are not well established in my orchard.

Thx Clark, i’ll put together some traps for next season

1 Like

Here is another guide I located Prevent, identify and treat pear tree pests and diseases in the UK with some good photos to help people as well. Pear rust as I’ve mentioned is more of a problem every year Pear Rust

1 Like

Are these woolly aphids? They were under a chalky mass of leaves and debris. On a Warren Pear that’s kind of out of the way on my property. Hadn’t noticed the buildup last Summer.

1 Like

Any take on this one? What is it on my ambrosia pear?

Scale.

1 Like

Can’t find much info on pear scale. Do you know by chance how to treat it?

ukie, I was responding to sps46.

@sps46 Doesn’t look like woolly aphid I have seen as they excrete some white almost powdery substance. They look like mealybugs.

Anything spray on the leaves or perhaps splash on the leaves from rain?

I did spray Surround + Spinosad + Sulphur on April 22nd.

Looks like it could be residue from Surround. I never used it but in your image it just looks like residue from dried liquid solution of some sort. Maybe a water droplet with some Surround or other spray content formed and dropped down and made a splash on those leaves you showed.

Thanks for your reply. I’m actually concerned about black leaf curl. I did some search and found this post which points to Bacterial blight caused by Pseudomonas syringae. Black leaf curl on new pear tree - Ask Extension

Hi @ukie , I have seen ocassional similar leaves in my pears trees. I personally attribute it to frost damage, or some other sort of damage done to the leaf while it was very small and tender. I believe damage done to the leaf while it was smaller would make the mature leave deformed as such.

I think as long as new leaves are not deformed, your tree would be fine.

1 Like

Good sleuthing. I noticed these two points in the article:

• pear are so sensitive to a variety of problems
  • you may want to consider sending a sample to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Lab

… or a lab in your state.

It’s the first time I encounter this disease on my pear trees. One side of the trees is looking healthy, the other half of the trees doesn’t.
Who knows what disease is this and what are the best chemicals suited to overcome this problem?

1 Like

@candyflipper

Was there glysophate or other herbicide like it used near the trees? Sometimes lawn chemicals etc. are applied. Do you have voles or other underground pests?

2 Likes

I don’t think any herbicide was used nearby. I don’t see any vole activity in my yard.

1 Like

@candyflipper

Normally when i see something like that i would say start with a good inspection of the area. Sometimes after a long winter i may have an apple half dead or with deformed leaves. Usually voles spent the winter eating my apple roots underground. 9 times out of 10 the problem started in the roots. Sometimes as a tree ages it can lose vigor but thats a pear which are known to live very long. A friends wife sprayed his tomatoes with a weak roundup solution because the sprayers got mixed up and she was helping him out. When he got home he sprayed them all down with water quickly before the roundup dried. They lived after going through a difficult time and produced gigantic tomatoes. I’m not sure he should have ate them but he did. The point im making is glysophate will impact leaves first on anything.

1 Like