Pear harvest 2023

I have Hosui and Chojuro on the same tree with one another and I find them not easy to tell apart by appearance. This year the Hosui, which were fewer, ripened a bit earlier.

Chojuro tends to set better.

2 Likes

Lovely pic with the colorful basket.

2 Likes

Yes, up to today, I still can’t tell Hosui and Chojuro apart. My original 4-in-1 tree became 1-in-1 tree. The question is which one left, Hosui or Chojuro that both were grafted. Some years it looks more like Hosui, some years it looks more like Chojuro.
The appearance influenced by the weather, the taste influenced by the weather, the ripen date influenced by the weather and there is no same weather each year to compare with. So I sometimes call it Hosui, sometimes call it Chojuro

1 Like

Thanks. That is a great article.

1 Like

Clark,
Are your Ayers small this year? Mine are quite small also but usually larger. Should be ready to pick this week.

2 Likes

I lost my Chojuro tree many years ago. I can’t remember if it was gophers or blight. Here is a link to an old thread that may be helpful: Hosui vs chojuro how to tell apart? - #8 by PharmerDrewee

2 Likes

@mayhaw9999

They are about normal sized this year. The more there are the smaller they are.

Charles Harris are very tasty!

Abate fetel are delicious! Thought i lost them all to the wind storms but two survived @mamuang

Ewart aka Karls favorite

Hoskins or Carrick i need to look which one. They are good this year but were terrible last year.

Many others to numerous to name eg. More potomac, ayers, meenie, maxine, ya li , pai , drippin honey etc…

@mayhaw9999

Many of my pears were smaller or larger than normal. It has been a strange year.

11 Likes

The ayers looks somewhat similar to seckle pears I grow. Seckles are sometimes called sugar pears for a very good reason. Are ayers similar in that respect? In my limited experience rating pears these past few years, I’ve found that the smaller pears I’ve tasted typically have increased sweetness and more nuanced flavor profile. They compensate for their small size.

9 Likes

They look blemish free…

Nice pear

2 Likes

@mayhaw9999
I went to check my “Potomac”. They are not bumpy. I hope mine is true to label. Not ripen yet.

@clarkinks glad you get some Abate Fetel. I think mine will be 2 more week. We have had more cloud than sun this past few days and the trend will continue.

3 Likes

Are the Potomac amongst the last pears to ripen in your area? I think I may have harvested some of my pears too early. While they ripened just fine after storing them in the larder, I feel like they could still be hanging out on the tree waiting until more storage space opened up.

2 Likes

I think that small pears that are popular are great in other respects because they were selected in spite of their small size. In other words, they were so good that they had to be propagated, even though they are smaller than people want.

3 Likes

How tall are your trees, Clark? They look like they tower over the average person.

2 Likes

That seems like a reasonable explanation. I love reading the origin stories. Most are likely apocryphal, but still interesting regardless.

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee

Around 20- 35 feet. Potomac are just now dead ripe. We have been under a hazy sky of fine ash this year causing late ripening times.

1 Like

I thought I replied to you but it may have gone to someone else. That was a great article. Thanks.

2 Likes

I think that is Hoskins. Carrick is more tapered and has a very distinct basin/calyx end. Wow! you have a lot of pears.

2 Likes

@mayhaw9999

Think you are right on hoskins and carrick! Yes i’m trying to cut back on varities. Grafted over many types this year but still feel i may have more than i should. Think you might grow more than me or as many i’m not sure. Have some very rare pears out there.

2 Likes

Beautiful Seckels. I don’t think mine are ready to pick but I’m watching them closely. Ayers is a hybrid with Chinese Sand pear genes.
Ayers (PI 541722). -Originated in Knoxville, Tennessee, by Brooks D. Drain, Tennessee Agriculture Experiment Station. Introduced in 1954. Garber x Anjou; tested as Tennessee 37S21. Fruit: skin golden russet with a rose tint flesh juicy, sweet; good for eating fresh and average for canning; first picking in mid-August. Tree: resistant to fire blight,

2 Likes

I do have a lot of varieties but many are just one limb on a multigrafted tree. Also, many of my trees are on OHxF87 or 333 and are small. I wish they were all on calleryana. As I have mentioned. many of the 87 and 333 trees have tiny fruit this year while the calleryana trees have normal to huge fruit. I only have three trees on Pyrus communis rootstock - Comice, Magness and Abbe Fetel. and Abbe is a rootsprout regraft after Dana Hovey died of fire blight in 2014.

4 Likes