Pear identity and traits

That text points out that all pears should be considered self-sterile when considered in terms of producing a commercial crop. The only decision to make is which variety(ies) to use for pollination.

@Fusion_power

The document recommends interplanting which to this day is unfortunately still not always done. In cases where it is done a 200% increase in production can occur! Many people getting fruit never considered they could be getting 100% more fruit. What does that add up to over 100 years in a pear orchard on standard rootstock?

2 Likes

I’m working on Hosui and can’t find direct info about fire blight. My experience growing Hosui is that it is resistant. Anyone seen it get FB?

@Fusion_power

It does get fireblight here.

40 Bartletts! I’m wondering how many growers can accurately identify their Bartlett.

1 Like

I added several hundred more pear varieties. For example, the list now includes 137 varieties specifically for Perry.

I need to work on eliminating duplicates. Many varieties are listed 2 or more times with alternate spellings and more are under multiple PI numbers in the USDA database.

1 Like

I’m cleaning up information in the database and ran into a couple of problems, mostly from ScottSmith’s information, wagonwheel, and a list Clark posted in 2015. The list of pears has so many spelling errors that I sorted out just the list and cleaned up the spelling problems.

Not really a problem, but if you ever decide to go through it, be aware that the spelling is rough. Is Cornice perhaps Comice?

She genotyped all the pears at Corvallis and made a spreadsheet (I think 31 Bartlett duplicates)

Table S1

If you download the free visualization software Helium, you can see the pedigrees