Pear trees that produce bushels of fruit and avoid disease

Just a reminder dont go crazy with the pruning this year. Prune with a strategy if you need to prune at all.

3 Likes

Wow. Amazing photos. I also appreciate the information you share.

My Dwarf Everbearing Colette Pear, which I just planted last year, has flowers this year. Iā€™ve heard a lot of people saying that, for some plants, at least, you want to remove flowers in the first years, so as to allow the roots to do some growing. Would that also be the case here?

Would I also want to thin it a bit, as with apricots?

It appears some of the buds died (I say they died, because, whereas the other buds are opening, these particular ones are not) during the Winterā€“either from dehydration (Iā€™m still coming to understand just how thirsty these guys can be), or from the cold. Some of the ones that died were the topmost ones. There will be other buds that will grow the tree upwardly, right? Itā€™s still very short :sweat_smile:).

It is situated right beside my compost, so I know itā€™s been getting lots and lots of the good stuff, because of the runoff of daily watering.

What does it mean that my Dwarf Everbearing Colette Pear is ā€œpartially self fertileā€? If I hand pollinate, wonā€™t it be fully self-fertile? Why wouldnā€™t it? LOL

It looks like my young Pear tree is trying to have a crop of 56 pears this spring, but Iā€™m concerned it is too small to support that. Should I provide supports, or should I just pluck some flowers off?

1 Like

@Well_Well_Well

Wait until after the fruitlets completely set as many will drop.

1 Like

Thank you. Would I want to preempt that, to prevent waste of resources?

Most years I see fire blight on my pear trees from bloom to about the end of April or mid May. I check every morning and break out anything that appears to be blight. I have a pretty good set of nickel size Korean Giant and Dripping Honey this year and I would like to see them ripen. Everyone really likes these two pears. Side note: my Ayers and Orient is mostly bight free every year.

2 Likes