Pears 2019 report

Pai Li is loaded

The rest of the multi grafted pears are full of fruits also. I may have to thin more before branch breakage.

18 Likes

Your pears are beautiful. What’s photo 5?

What is the name of your seedling Asian pear, Tony?

I have successful Pai Li and Shinko grafts among Improved Kieffer. Looking forward to tasting more Asian pears.

Dax

3 Likes

Those are Chojuro Asian pears.

2 Likes

Pai Li, is that a favorite? Which is sweetest and juiciest of the Asian pears that you grow? Which has the best balance of tart/sweet?

Pai Li and Shinko. I glad those two grafts took for you. Shinseki is the juiciest and mildly sweet and tart near the seeds.

2 Likes

The Asian pear seedling, I just called it Korasu. Half Korean Giant and half Mishirasu.

2 Likes

Very interesting that your Chojuro are still green. Mine have all russeted over and are brown now.

2 Likes

The last photo is Chojuro and the 5th photo is Shinseki.

3 Likes

Anyone know of a pear with long 3 to 4 inch thorns. I don’t remember planting it.

2 Likes

Do you have a close up photo of your shinseiki? I’ve been trying to figure out if I have shinseiki or 20th century.

4 Likes

Does grafting a non-blight resistant variety onto a blight resistant variety open that entire tree up to blight? In the future I’d like to graft some asian pears because I’ve read they take very well, but I don’t want to create problems for myself.

1 Like

Yes. It would be the same as introducing thru infected tools throughout a whole tree.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks Dax, that makes sense. I’m guessing I’ll just stick to the few resistant varieties I’ve read about.

1 Like

To answer my previous question about pear thorns I found this: Thorns on pears

1 Like

If I were to bet, I would bet on It being Shinseiki.

@tonyOmahaz5could help you out here.