Pecan and Hican soil needs

I understand that these trees like well-drained soil. I also understand that they drink a lot of water. I’m trying to figure out a way for them to get as much of their water needs from naturally present water as possible. I have a few places on my land where well-drained soil borders marshier hydric soil. In one case there is a distinct hill that slopes down into a distinct wetland. In another, there is a more gradual slope into soil that is definitely a bit marshy in winter/spring. My question is whether I can use these locations to get the best of both worlds: plant in the well-drained soil but close enough that the roots can extend into the wet to drink? Or will any contact with the poorly draining soil be a problem?

This question could apply to various walnut species as well, since they seem to have similar soil and water needs, and I’m also interested in putting in some of those.

1 Like

Pecans are native to bottom lands near rivers. So that’s deep alluvial soil often with a water table within reach of the tree roots, say at 5-15 ft deep. So if some of your soil is like that it should be good.

I have a big pecan tree about 40ft tall and wide. As nearly as I can tell it requires about 600 gallons of water a day in our dry climate. That’s 60 dollars a month on city water. I’m trying to decide if the tree is worth that kind of upkeep.

The healthiest pecan trees I have seen are on a low peninsula that juts out into Shoals Creek. The peninsula is about 5 feet above the water. More important perhaps is the soil they grow in. A deep sandy loam is best. Clay soil can work as long as it is permeable. I am growing on silty clay loam that is a bit tighter than preferred, but the trees are hitting 12 inches diameter at 20 years old so they are managing.

This thread has a ton of information if you care to put some time into reading.

1 Like

Please add location to your user profile.